Lionfish Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leather gloves will typically crack and peel pretty quickly. Hypodermic syringe needles are the current "gold standard" for testing. It's great that you are taking the initiative to test and would like it if you can keep us all updated with your findings !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's also been pointed out to me that the puncture resistance may be different wet. Then too, along with cracking and peeling, I would expect a significant loss of suppleness after immersion. I'll let you know...

Hammerhead has some Dyneema gloves that are reported to be excellent, cut and puncture resistant with good dexterity.
So what is the verdict on the hammerhead gloves?

I haven't used them yet. I meant to take some photos but never got around to it. I'm going to dive them on mini season.

Went to Cozumel a couple of years ago and the divemaster just carried a pair of the EMT shears. When he speared a LF, he trimmed the fins before he took it off the spear. It took him just a couple of seconds and pretty much eliminated the danger.

I used to do this in Cozumel and it does work well for one or two (or more..of course). I would cut the spines off, put them on a stringer and then pull them off the spear.

The problem is if you're going for sheer numbers, it's much easier (and safer) to put them into a containment device like a Zookeeper and not have to worry about cutting spines off at 100ft. Easier to multitask when you can spear, put into container and keep on spearing rather than wasting time cutting spines off underwater.

If you are using a pole spear, the Z Gear pole spear leash we is an inexpensive leash that can give you peace of mind while diving. Sometimes when we are adjusting our equipment underwater, or we just need to use both our hands we can lose track that we are holding on to our pole spear and we can easily lose it. This pole leash can let you let go of the pole spear with out worry and it will be one less thing to remember. It will not obstruct your shooting and if you are hunting in murky conditions or entering from shore it will come in handy. Their are a couple of members who used the leash and have commented thatt they were pleased on how it worked. Just an option for those who like to hunt with a pole spear!

5 pole spear leash.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the ZK that I built from a 4" pvc tube. Same size/height as a al40 using a red funnel for the top.

I stringered and clipped the first few times killing them and it is very time consuming vs the ZK.

150882932.jpg

My buddy lost his spear during mini season on our first dive and probably minutes into it. He thought he had it clipped off, saw a lionfish, and realized he didn't have his spear. We were lobstering, so we all had a lot of things. Just working on lobster, I lost my tickle stick and net. Luckily the DM saw me put it down and swim away and someone found a net which looked exactly like mine on the dive I lost mine. With limited peripheral vision due to wearing a mask, it's so easy to set something down and not see it before moving on. In the case of my tickle stick, I thought I had it wrapped around my wrist.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

Randy, sweet looking unit. I like the pole spear holder. I need to install one of those on mine. How is the pvc end attached? How easy/difficult is it to put the spear in? What are the chances the spear could come out? I'm also trying to figure out what black surgical hose is for?

...//... it's so easy to set something down and not see it before moving on. ...

Yes, or accidently drop it. I used to sew an O-ring to my glove for clipping off shears or a small Intova light. That way you can just let go if you need to use both hands. I've changed the O-ring to a strip of neoprene that is glued flat. No glue in the center, of course.

It is much easier to hit this strip with a boltsnap than it is to find the O-ring. Maybe this would help with a pole spear clip too?

ClipToGlove.jpg

Just make sure that (in an emergency) you can tear loose from anything you add to your glove.

I couldn't wait, I ordered the Hammerhead gloves. They should arrive tomorrow. I'll use them during lobster mini season in a couple of weeks and will report back.
So how'd it go? Did you like the gloves and just how many lobsters did you bag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom