Lionfish Hunting Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We ship from VA, so it should be there! thanks!
Just arrived and I can’t wait to try it out. I think I can make it fit a suitcase that I sometimes use, if not I’ll shorten it a couple of cm

Attachments

• E6C49F6B-5671-4736-98CF-6F1AF27F38DF.jpeg
    E6C49F6B-5671-4736-98CF-6F1AF27F38DF.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 61
  • A2F87878-7E78-4C06-8F77-6D96A5E31F9B.jpeg
    A2F87878-7E78-4C06-8F77-6D96A5E31F9B.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 56
Thank you for that link. If that source is to be trusted, then my question seems to have been answered -

"Lionfish are not poisonous, they are venomous. The difference between poison and venom is the method of delivery. Venom must be injected into the bloodstream to cause injury, such as through a sharp spine or fang, but is harmless if drunk or eaten. Poison has to be ingested or absorbed to be harmful; lionfish carry no poison in the edible meat of the fish."

Edit:
I should have read down a little further. There was more info -
"Note, however, cooking lionfish is NOT required. They are NOT poisonous to eat and if you did consume the venom from the spines, nothing is likely to happen."

I have found the opposite. Application of heat is tremendously helpful. Not too long ago dropped one on my bare foot and it was so minor that I initially thought that I did not get stung. Then in about a minute it itched a little, in 5 minutes it hurt a lot. I applied no heat.

In an hour my foot was swollen considerably and made for a miserable dive. Driving home the pain was significant and was moving up my leg, with the most pain in the Achilles tendon, 3 hours later. Pain was not resolving, got home and even though I assumed the venom was distributed and would have done what it was going to do, I stuck my foot in a pot of hot water. 90% relief of pain in 5 minutes, even after several hour delay. 30 minutes later, almost no discomfort.

Is this a special made gun that can be used u/w or is it a modified regular gun?
Slightly modified regular gun. Glocks are known for their polymer parts as well as the toughness and corrosion resistance of the metal parts.

For curiosity, I looked into this a while back. There were a couple of minor modifications to make. Most notably the spring cups need to be changed to allow water to pass through and not slow down the striker. Ammo would also need to be sealed, but that’s easy enough with some nail polish.

The easy part is the Glock Maritime Cups...can be easily found online.

From what I recall, the ATF saw this lol and classed his added device as a suppressor, which is legal only if you jump through some hoops (forms, finger prints, etc) and pay $200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom