Lionfish myth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Took this picture in Bonaire last week. Nine lionfish were captured.

IMG_4470.jpg

I heard they were made in China:

IMG_0796.jpg

I wonder if those cruise ships distribute the eggs, don't they carry sea ballast?

N

Regarding Bonaire, where were the lionfish captured, (location and rough depth if you know)? Also, I was wondering if they've been found off the windward shore as well. Seems likely but just curious. The reef protection on Bonaire is particularly well organized, do you know what their official stand is regarding sightings?

Thanks!

Talking some folks in other parts of the Caribbean where the invasion may only be starting. In the case of NE Florida up to the Carolinas over to Bermuda, down through the Bahamas and into the Turks & Caicos, it may be too late to do much more than an academic study of occurrence and habits. This seems to be the official approach currently in some areas. In the case of SE Florida, the Keys and some islands in the Caribbean where populations seem to still be sparse, this may not be the case, yet.

Has anyone actually been attempting to take lionfish when sighted and been tracking apparent effects on populations? REEF is pursuing such a program, I think, but haven't seen results to date other than a couple of sighting stories from early in the year and distribution data on USGS resources. Just because it seems reasonable doesn't make it a good approach. Still, doing nothing or close to nothing, seems to have a more certain outcome. These considerations are for discussion at locations outside the USA at this time.

Input?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom