Lion's Dive Resort anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverswifey

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Lions Dive? My husband is the diver, I am the trip planner. He is not a shore diver, prefers boat diving- and we aren't getting any younger so valet diving or assistance with tanks and getting out of the boat is helpful, too. We have not been to Curacao or to Bonaire before but the look of this place appeals to me. Thanks for any feedback!

i stayed up the coast and we did come to this dock the resort looked really good.. heard it can get noisy and the aquarium is right next door.. dive shop/boat was awesome.. def would help you with gear etc.. my next trip planning staying at Lions den.. enjoy the diving..

Stayed at Lions 2x. Nice resort, convenient with food and shops. Didn't use the dive operation. We like the shore diving there. With the constant winds it can get "sporty" out on a boat, and my daughter doesn't handle that well...

On Curacao, we are Dive Bus fans.

I was there this past spring with a group of about 24 people, mostly divers. The dive operation - Ocean Encounters - is fantastic: extremely well organized, great DM's, boats are in good repair, great captain, no "you need to come up in 50 minutes" stuff, and the entire staff knew what needed to be done and smiled while doing it. Our group of 22 divers had a very good time with them and it was like diving with friends the entire week. Yes, the wave action was "sporty" but doable even for an older crowd. The boat staff did all of the "heavy lifting" when needed and without having to ask. Several of our group took their gear off/on in the water and was not an issue. It appears to be a separate business from Lion's Den.

The Lions Den property is very nice and out of our group about 6 couples upgraded to a suite or ocean front room. Rooms are nice. The resort was packed. The one major issue that we had was the noise on the beach. The suite I was in was right in front of a band on the beach that was to be done by 9:00 PM, then 10, then 11..... Property staff on duty could not give a definitive answer when it would stop even though it was their band. Every night they promised to write up an incidence report. After that a venue right next to the Lion's property will blare music until 3 or 4 in the morning 3 or 4 nights a week. One couple were able to "enjoy" a jack hammer for three days in the room next to them. They had 24 hours of noise. They did get a $50 credit..... Even 33dB ear plugs did very little to block out the music in my room. No matter how many people complained, management did nothing to lower the music. Management did offer me a room in the back, but only for me and as the lead I was not going to take care of myself and let everyone else suffer. If you go get one of the cheaper rooms in the back to avoid the noise.

It was difficult to make a reservation for dinner for our group because they requested a minimum of a 3 day lead time for a reservation. After speaking with management several times I was able to make a reservation for the next night. No one was expecting us when we showed up so I had to use a letter from management stating I had a reservation. After that we just walked off property to Mambo Beach area next door where there are quite few good restaurants. It is less than a 3 minute walk from Lions Den. They all handled my group with even as little as a 1 hour request for the reservation.

Other than the noise it was a fairly typical mid to large Caribbean resort. To me it is not a dive resort, but a resort with an excellent dive shop next to it would be a better description. It appeared to me that most guests on property where there to sit on the beach and party since we were the only divers that week for the most part. For reference I have been to about 20 different Caribbean dive resorts.

Stayed 2x most recently in May. Would stay again. Any questions?

Spent a week there in June 2021 diving with Ocean Encounters. Resort was nice and the on-site restaurants were pretty good (the sushi bar was best in our opinion). The resort is walking distance from a venue full of shops and restaurants. Easy cab ride to head into town if you’d like. All in all seems a good place for a non-diver to have an enjoyable time while their diving spouse is underwater. As for the shop, we were very impressed. Safe and professional while keeping things enjoyable. Would dive with them again.

I was just there last week. This was my sixth trip there and my fifth time diving with Ocean Encounters. I have thoroughly enjoyed every trip. The hotel has construction going on but it's not bad at all. Ocean Encounters is a great dive operation and very convenient if staying at Lions Dive.

thanks so much for all of your replies. The late night music would be my main concern out of what I have read from you all. I wonder if anyone has been to Curacao in November and could comment on that time of the year- pros? cons? that is out preferred time to travel but it would be 2024. We also travel in May but I have next May already planned as it will be my birthday trip. Thanks so much and keep the info coming!!!
John Bortie- what kind of room do you get there? would an ocean view have any less noise? We love ocean front but it sounds like that could possibly be more band noise- yes or no?

We have never heard music from our rooms late night or otherwise. The resort is quiet day and night. We get the less expensive rooms as we only use it to sleep.

We have been in nov and may. Likely to be a bit more rain in nov but rain doesn’t last long when it does come. May will be a bit warmer.

Been to Lions 2x. Once in late November (pre-pandemic - year before). First time went with Ocean View, second time saved some money....

Mambo could generate some noise if an event is going on, but room closed with AC on, I don't believe it would be a big deal... I don't recall issues.

Back
Top Bottom