Liquivision Lynx Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This short video demonstrates the Liquivision Lynx computer, as it attempts to locate the ultrasonic tank (or location) transmitter. The radar map shows varying levels of gray, indicating the probability that the target is in that sector (white being the greatest probability). The device uses its internal digital compass to rotate the radar map, as the wrist unit rotates. As more packets are received from the transmitter, the radar map updates. Older packets are slowly discarded to allow for the fact that the target may be moving and older location information may be less accurate than new location information. You'll notice the device also says the tank pressure of the target (around 2300 PSI), and it estimates the distance to the target, although this distance estimate is calibrated for underwater operation, not operation in air as shown in the video. The lower right corner gives you the best guess compass heading (i.e. 250 deg W), which is the centroid of the brightest sector.

The blue square that floats around the screen is a feedback to the tilt of the unit. The device requires that the wrist unit be within 20 degrees of level, in order to accept directional information. If the blue square is within the inner blue circle, the unit is sufficiently level to accept directional information. As you tilt the unit around the blue square floats around the screen, giving you instant feedback on the tilt of the unit.

The device uses a combination of phase shift and relative amplitude to determine the direction to the target. It is optimized for the properties of sound underwater, not in air.
Liquivision Lynx Ultrasonic Locator Function - YouTube

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Last edited:
This short video demonstrates the Liquivision Lynx computer, as it attempts to locate the ultrasonic tank (or location) transmitter. The radar map shows varying levels of gray, indicating the probability that the target is in that sector (white being the greatest probability). The device uses its internal digital compass to rotate the radar map, as the wrist unit rotates. As more packets are received from the transmitter, the radar map updates. Older packets are slowly discarded to allow for the fact that the target may be moving and older location information may be less accurate than new location information. You'll notice the device also says the tank pressure of the target (around 2300 PSI), and it estimates the distance to the target, although this distance estimate is calibrated for underwater operation, not operation in air as shown in the video. The lower right corner gives you the best guess compass heading (i.e. 250 deg W), which is the centroid of the brightest sector.

The blue square that floats around the screen is a feedback to the tilt of the unit. The device requires that the wrist unit be within 20 degrees of level, in order to accept directional information. If the blue square is within the inner blue circle, the unit is sufficiently level to accept directional information. As you tilt the unit around the blue square floats around the screen, giving you instant feedback on the tilt of the unit.

The device uses a combination of phase shift and relative amplitude to determine the direction to the target. It is optimized for the properties of sound underwater, not in air.
Liquivision Lynx Ultrasonic Locator Function - YouTube

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Pretty flash, cheers.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 08:52 PM ----------

Will do. I think SB will allow links to You Tube.

Brian

Cheers.

This video shows the locator function in the Liquivision Lynx dive computer.

[video=youtube;26paBaNCP-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26paBaNCP-o[/video]

Lynx Locator - YouTube (URL in case you have problems with the embedded video).

In this dive I clipped a stage bottle with a transmitter on an old swing set at about 45'-50' and started swimming. I swam over a wall, around some boulders, for 3-4 minutes to a max depth of 70'. Note that I maintained contact with the other transmitter the entire time. Water temperature was 42F, visibility was about 15-20'.

When I activate the locator function you can see me trying to get the unit level. For the locator function to work, the Lynx wrist unit must be kept level with respect to the ocean floor. There is a blue square on the radar map that indicates whether the unit is level or not. When the square is dark blue and outside the small circle on the map you are not level and you will not process any data packets. When you are level the square turns bright blue and begins processing data.

After I leveled the Lynx I waited for the target to appear. I forgot that you need to move a little in order to lock on to the target. Once I started moving (time index 5:54) I locked onto my target right away.

To swim to your target turn and keep the white cone in front of you. As you get closer to the target the cone will narrow indicating a more precise estimate of your target location. As you get within 15' of the target the signal is so strong that directional indication gets less accurate. You should be able to see your target at this distance.

In this case the Lynx brought me back to my stage bottle.

Brian

This video shows the locator function in the Liquivision Lynx dive computer.

[video=youtube;26paBaNCP-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26paBaNCP-o[/video]

Lynx Locator - YouTube (URL in case you have problems with the embedded video).

In this dive I clipped a stage bottle with a transmitter on an old swing set at about 45'-50' and started swimming. I swam over a wall, around some boulders, for 3-4 minutes to a max depth of 70'. Note that I maintained contact with the other transmitter the entire time. Water temperature was 42F, visibility was about 15-20'.

When I activate the locator function you can see me trying to get the unit level. For the locator function to work, the Lynx wrist unit must be kept level with respect to the ocean floor. There is a blue square on the radar map that indicates whether the unit is level or not. When the square is dark blue and outside the small circle on the map you are not level and you will not process any data packets. When you are level the square turns bright blue and begins processing data.

After I leveled the Lynx I waited for the target to appear. I forgot that you need to move a little in order to lock on to the target. Once I started moving (time index 5:54) I locked onto my target right away.

To swim to your target turn and keep the white cone in front of you. As you get closer to the target the cone will narrow indicating a more precise estimate of your target location. As you get within 15' of the target the signal is so strong that directional indication gets less accurate. You should be able to see your target at this distance.

In this case the Lynx brought me back to my stage bottle.

Brian

Nice, thank you for posting that.

Whats the pinger to put on the anchor worth?

I don't want to spoil anyone's fun but AFAIC the applications of these technologies are very limited. May have a point if I can put one transmitter on each of the shops first stage (25x???$, ouch), on the boat and on each of my deco tanks...
Of course, I dive in good viz, with a limited number of divers and provide guides for fun divers. I understand I may not be the targeted customer, but isn't this technology bound to remain addressed to a tiny niche?
Still very cool that all this can be done underwater. Best of luck for your development.

Well, gekodivebali, wouldn't it be nice to be able to look down at your wrist, and check the pressure on all the divers you were guiding? Yes, the capital investment wouldn't be tiny, but the increase in safety might be worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom