Liquivision Xen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom timer is great and is really easy to see and is super informative. HOWEVER, there is a significant issue with stopwatch activation. Currently, the way the software is written, you have to work through menus to turn on the stopwatch AND then you have have to work your way through menus AGAIN to turn on the stopwatch--it is distracting and unecessary. I have mentioned something in the Liquivision forum but there has been no response (as often there is no response to my posts). So, the timer is awesome, but 500$ for messed up software is a bit effed up. You may want to hold off on a purchase, if you can, until this is fixed.

isn't there a shortcut for this?

isn't there a shortcut for this?

As I understand it, and as it worked on the model I tried in FL recently, you have to turn on the stopwatch function once the dive starts. To do that you have to go through the menu system.

After the stopwatch function has been turned on, you can reset the stopwatch by tapping the left side of the Xen 3 times.

As I wrote before, it would be nice if there were a user preference setting that would allow you to always have the stopwatch on at the start of a dive without having to go into the menu system.

Henrik

As I understand it, and as it worked on the model I tried in FL recently, you have to turn on the stopwatch function once the dive starts. To do that you have to go through the menu system.

After the stopwatch function has been turned on, you can reset the stopwatch by tapping the left side of the Xen 3 times.

As I wrote before, it would be nice if there were a user preference setting that would allow you to always have the stopwatch on at the start of a dive without having to go into the menu system.

Henrik

I assume that means that after you turn it on for one dive, it does not stay on for subsequent dives (i.e. you have to go through the menu and turn it on every time you dive)?? As silly as it might seem, that might actually be a deal breaker for me.

I assume that means that after you turn it on for one dive, it does not stay on for subsequent dives (i.e. you have to go through the menu and turn it on every time you dive)?? As silly as it might seem, that might actually be a deal breaker for me.

Yes every dive is the same: turn on the stopwatch, then start the stopwatch, there are like 6 menu steps in between and it is a HUGE hassle. So every dive starts like this: tap 3x, tap down to select stopwatch, turn on stopwatch, tap 3x, tap down to select stopwatch, start stopwatch, Now here is the more aggravating part, if you are a DIR diver and you use the resettable avg depth feature (which is an awesome feature that I LOVE) you have to go into the menu again. Tap 3x, tap down to average depth, select reset avg depth, tap down to select yes.

And there you have it. A bunch of wasted time for at least one feature that should be automatic. At least there should be a menu option to have stopwatch always on.

If there is a shortcut for this I havent found it, and liquivision hasnt said anything about it. This is something that needs to be fixed.

The resetting once it is on is actually very smooth, responsive, and quick; easy as pie to restart time at every stop. It is GETTING to that point that is a hassle. :)

Yes every dive is the same: turn on the stopwatch, then start the stopwatch, there are like 6 menu steps in between and it is a HUGE hassle. So every dive starts like this: tap 3x, tap down to select stopwatch, turn on stopwatch, tap 3x, tap down to select stopwatch, start stopwatch, Now here is the more aggravating part, if you are a DIR diver and you use the resettable avg depth feature (which is an awesome feature that I LOVE) you have to go into the menu again. Tap 3x, tap down to average depth, select reset avg depth, tap down to select yes.

And there you have it. A bunch of wasted time for at least one feature that should be automatic. At least there should be a menu option to have stopwatch always on.

If there is a shortcut for this I havent found it, and liquivision hasnt said anything about it. This is something that needs to be fixed.

I am simulating a dive with my Xen right now.

To turn on the stop watch, it takes 3x down taps to access the main menu. One side tap to activate the stopwatch. From there, 3x side taps and 1x down tap to select start, then a side tap to start it. I can do the whole sequence in about 3 seconds (just timed it). It reads like a lot of steps, but its really very fast and easy.

To restart the stopwatch, it takes 4x side taps. Super fast.

As far as resetting the avg depth, I DONT want it to be super easy. An accidental reset of the avg would pretty much make the entire feature worthless. I like the fact that it asks you to confirm it. I reset the avg maybe once per dive. Sometimes, I don't even reset it at all.

+1

-100 for everyone who thinks that this stopwatch activation hassle is "not so bad". Relax, just because you bought a product that can be improved does not mean that you are a bad person. Just let the manufacturer fix this nuisance so I can finally buy a Xen :D

It sounds like I might be better of waiting until some kinks are worked out before purchasing.

Just for perspective:

(1) I don't have to "preactivate" my Vytec before getting in the water (it turns on when wet)
(2) I don't have to cycle through menus to turn on the stopwatch feature; it's always on when the Vytec starts the dive
(3) I don't have multiple taps to reset the stopwatch; I hit one button once

I love the idea of an OLED screen, but I'm not sold on the complexity of using the device (no matter how many claim this is "simple"). I've watched people with X1s tap tapping away crazily on deco stops. That's just not my cup of tea...

I fed the stopwatch issue back to Liquivision as well. I believe that there will be an update at some point that will address this, but probably not very soon.

With a bit of practice you can get the stopwatch pretty quick, but as you say it is a little bit annoying.

HTH
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom