Little Cayman Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dukedives

Reaction score
First time post....we just booked a week in Little Cayman. We're staying at the Conch Club Condos which is affiliated with Little Cayman Beach Resort. A few questions....

We just booked a dinner package. Is there a grocery store to get breakfast & lunch provisions?

We were in Bonaire in Novmber and were suprised to find a lot of biting insects morning noon and night. Does Little Cayman have the same issue?

Thanks in advance.

Village square is it, on Little Cayman, there's not much else on the Island other than a place to stay. It's not cheap to buy from the store so it's a good thing you booked a dinner, some of us take stuff along, but then you really have to watch the weight of the luggage because of the plane weight requirement.

You might want to consider adding another meal to your package. As Caymaniac said, Village Sq is it. Don't forget about the weight limit between GC and LC, 50# total per person checked baggage and 15# carry on. Those restrictions don't leave much room for food.

You will have a great time on Little Cayman as it is a wonderful place!

Village Sq is usually well stocked for such a small island & your unit has a full kitchen. You will find some mossies at dusk but not often on the beachfront where you will be.

I see that the weight restrictions on Cayman Air from GC to LC is 55 lbs total checked bags, that's two bags total, and one carry on at no more than 15 lbs? Is that correct?

Any opinons on Litttle Cayman Beach Resort in February and the onsite Dive Op?

First time post....we just booked a week in Little Cayman. ... Is there a grocery store to get breakfast & lunch provisions?

There's a grocery and liquor store a modestly walking distance away. They usually will have basics that will suffice for breakfast/lunch, although they occasionally will have odd hours (depends on if the supply ship was able to dock or not).

We were in Bonaire in Novmber and were suprised to find a lot of biting insects morning noon and night. Does Little Cayman have the same issue?

They sometimes have bugs, so do pack the DEET. While I don't recall it ever being as bad as what you describe your Bonaire experience as, there are shallow brackish ponds right across the street from you and it will depend on how much recent rain there's been as to if there's been any recent hatchings. Thus said, my recollections are more that it is the typical "at dusk" sort of frequency. On my last trip to LC (2004), we did some midday inland hiking and I don't recall any noticable bug problems.

The Cayman Government does spray for mosquitos, and due to a few regional instances of West Nile, they're probably hitting things a bit stronger for the past year. They also had a very aggressively spraying on Cayman Brac's West End this past October, due to an outbreak of an invasive species (Pink Hibiscus Mealybug); I don't know if they suspected Little Cayman to be vulnerable too, but if so, they might be spraying more heavily than usual there too, to prevent it from getting any foothold (until this outbreak, PHM infestations had been restricted to just Grand Cayman).

BTW, I recall an odd bug on Little Cayman to be aware of that you might run into, which is locally known as a "Coconut Bug". It looked to me like a lightning bug (same look & shape, but slightly smaller), and the trick with them is to sweep them off you instead of squashing, because a squash *on* you supposedly causes a burning sensation (I assume from the bug's juices?). They were rampant on my first trip to LC in 1993, but I didn't notice any of them at all on my last trip there in 2004. I don't know if they are seasonal, or that I simply hit one year with an unusual spike.

-hh

You might want to consider adding another meal to your package. As Caymaniac said, Village Sq is it.

I'm with Carriemak on that thought, definately add a meal to your package. The meals at LCBR are top notch. Village Sq. is very limited, similar to a WaWa or 7-11 here and you spend a LOT of money on the most basic things. We were amazed at the cost of simple things like bread and fruit. Even is you're wealthy and have lots of money to throw around, you will be very limited in your choices and disappointed int he quality of meats etc.

(other posters, please don't take offense, but the basics didn't look very appealing when we were there)

I am wondering how long it's been since some of you have been to Little Cayman Beach Resort. I was there a couple years ago and the food was absolutely terrible! I tried the food at three other places on Little Cayman and it was vastly superior. Not even in the same league. JMO, of course but I really did not think it was even close. Everyone there was complaining so it was not just me and my wife who thought the food was really bad.

I am wondering how long it's been since some of you have been to Little Cayman Beach Resort. I was there a couple years ago and the food was absolutely terrible! I tried the food at three other places on Little Cayman and it was vastly superior. Not even in the same league. JMO, of course but I really did not think it was even close. Everyone there was complaining so it was not just me and my wife who thought the food was really bad.

Was there this past July, wife & I thought the food was great---as was the diving......either something changed or our tastes are different...remember, I'm from South Louisiana where the food is 2nd to NONE............--as you can see from my profile, & that's a picture profile & not a public profile..........

Back
Top Bottom