Little Cayman or Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jp_bowers

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! We are planning a 1st of July trip to the Caymans. WE are trying to determine if Little Cayman would be a better place to stay rather than Cayman Brac. If you read this and have had experience on either island..... I sure like to hear from you. I have read every report I can find on both places (including Grand Cayman) and STILL can't make up my mind! Your response would be greatly apprecaited. Please name the resort and operators (prices you paid for your stay and diving would be wonderful!). Thanks!
Pat jp_bowers@yahoo.com

I have been diving on both Brac and Little Cayman. The diving is great at both. I prefer LC for the amazing reefs and wall. The Tibits wreck on the Brac is a must see. Brac reef resort is first class with a great dive operation. Check weather, it can get rough in the winter, I think your ok in July though. I am thinking of doing GC in april.

Have a good trip,
mike

Grand Cayman has the nicest beach areas and the most night life. Little Cayman has the best diving in the Carribean. The Brac is most like GC was before the 1980s. The Brac is where we go the most of the three.
If your just after diving, choose LC.
If your after more to do, choose GC
(do Stingray City)
The Brac has a few things to do, and the quiet of LC.
None of your choices are bad.
Caymaniac

Just returned from the Brac. I will post a dive report soon. I think the last post is good advice. PM me if you have any specific questions.

And very wise ones!

caymaniac once bubbled...
Grand Cayman has the nicest beach areas and the most night life. Little Cayman has the best diving in the Carribean. The Brac is most like GC was before the 1980s. The Brac is where we go the most of the three.
If your just after diving, choose LC.
If your after more to do, choose GC
(do Stingray City)
The Brac has a few things to do, and the quiet of LC.
None of your choices are bad.
Caymaniac

This is, by far, the best summary of the Caymans that I have ever read! However, I would like to add a little emphasis to one item: Stingray City.

I think it is worth all the hassle of going to GC for two days just to go to Stingray City. It is absolutely a unique experience and if you are a photographer, a wonderful chance to capture glorious images of Southern Stingrays with very little effort. So, if you are headed for the Caymans, make your first or your last stop GC and arrange to go to Stingray City--REALLY!!!

Scorpionfish

Agree with Caymaniac. You should be aware the LC can be inconvenient to get to. Flights are scheduled so that you must sit with your gear for hours before checking into the flight to the island. Since the plane is small, large luggage sometimes gets there the next morning and must leave a night before you do.

Great diving though. And I think Brac is under-rated although it is less spectacular then LC.

On several trips we have spent 10 days in the Caymans, going to G.C. for 2 - 3 days and dive at Stingray City & North Wall. Divepartner 1 is right about going to L.C., Island Air has quite a small allowance for baggage and they will charge you big if your over the limit.
What ever you choose it's a win win with diving in the Caymans, ( except for some sites on the west side of G.C. that are hurricane beat and not algae free):D

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
Just returned from the Brac. I will post a dive report soon. I think the last post is good advice. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Welcome back, but now ';-0'
you wish your trip had been two weeks! The Brac is definitely a place you could go back and dive more than once. I hope you got to Little Cayman a few times:wink:

Caymaniac

My wife and I got married on Grand Cayman out at the East End Dive Lodge. Believe me when I say this ... You won't find a better dive lodge on any of the Islands. This place is small, diver friendly, best dive sites you'll ever dive and is not a big cattle shop. They have only 12 rooms and are dedicated to your diving pleasure. Check out their web page at www.divelodge.com and be sure to check out the daily dive report. You will dive, deep ravines, great wall dives, great coral, every kind of fish you can immagine, including reef shark, and they will arrange for you to go around to Sting Ray City so you dive with the rays ... a really fun dive.
Good luck
Bill

The last time I was on GC there was no such entity as the "East End Dive Lodge."

You mean the "Cayman Diving Lodge," correct?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom