Liveaboard Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Wookie's boat the M/V Spree in Key West and Blue Iguana's boat the R/V Kate in Key Largo are both doubles and tech friendly.
We allow (and rent) doubles and are tech friendly on tech trips. On recreational trips, single tanks with pony are the rule. As was surmised about Aggressor fleet, with no deco limits and 130 foot limits in effect for recreational trips, having 160 or more cu. ft. of gas would encourage deeper longer diving than might be advisable 5 times per day. Besides, when the boat is full of divers, 24 extra cylinders just don't fit on the boat.

When a trip is kept within rec limits, I think it is unreasonable to require the deck workers to have to wrestle that gear. It's not as if you do all the wrestling on most liveaboards.

And, on almost all of the boats I have been on, the tank stowage is designed for singles. There is no way to secure the tanks in a double configuration.

King Snefro Fleet in Egypt/Sharm el Sheik also provided doubles for a couple of divers in the group I was traveling with. No trouble at all.
Can Also very much recommend Snefro Spirit. Great crew.

When a trip is kept within rec limits, I think it is unreasonable to require the deck workers to have to wrestle that gear. It's not as if you do all the wrestling on most liveaboards.

And, on almost all of the boats I have been on, the tank stowage is designed for singles. There is no way to secure the tanks in a double configuration.
Well, how about if you dive sidemount? You might be bringing two tanks, but youd potentially be using them for 2 dives..

We allow (and rent) doubles and are tech friendly on tech trips. On recreational trips, single tanks with pony are the rule. As was surmised about Aggressor fleet, with no deco limits and 130 foot limits in effect for recreational trips, having 160 or more cu. ft. of gas would encourage deeper longer diving than might be advisable 5 times per day. Besides, when the boat is full of divers, 24 extra cylinders just don't fit on the boat.
Can I bring my 80 cu ft sidemounted pony? :wink:

Wrestle the gear? When I've dived doubles off a boat, the most strenuous thing the crew does is give me a tug on the manifold to help me up the ladder from time to time.

Assuming OP wants doubles for redundancy as opposed to long/deep dive planning, just use a pony. I dive in double steel 119s 90% of the time, but when I'm going on a warm-water live aboard in caymans, t&c, etc I don't bother, nor would I even if they were available. Did dive doubles in Red Sea and Truk, since we were doing wreck penetration with planned deco. On the Spree we dive with a slung 40cf tank for redundancy. Next Bonaire trip I would consider slinging an additional 80 for longer, deeper dives.

Several boats I've been on have you take off your BC and they yank it on board. Not a job I ever hope to have. You'd either be very strong or kill your back permanently.

Two of us just dove sidemount all week on the Aquacat out of Nassau. No problems.

Wrestle (or otherwise touch) my gear? Try to haul my rig on board? Nope, not if you know what's good for you.

I've seen a few DMs who weigh less than my double 130s. I neither want nor expect them to do anything with my heavy gear except tell me where they want it. If they'll keep my tanks and my stomach full, I'll happily handle moving everything around.

Back
Top Bottom