Liveaboard photography - sd cards & storage solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an alternative to carrying a laptop for transfers, if you will have an Android device with you, you might consider looking into the adapter in the photo below. I've had success transferring files between microSD cards and various USB storage devices with both an android tablet and a smartphone. The tablet worked with all the media devices shown and the phone worked with FAT32 formats but not NTFS. (I haven't tested exFAT)

Best Adapter.jpgPhone Copy.jpgTablet Copy.jpg

The adapter plus an external HD or a large thumb drive makes for a relatively compact transfer and backup solution. The adapter was $7.29 on ebay but can be obtained from a number of sources.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used it last week again at Huracan in Belize a couple of weeks ago, and it's little blue light made a nice night-light as well in a room that was VERY dark at night... Huracan is a bit like a liveaboard, only on land!
Please post a trip report (over in the Belize forum) on how its going with the new owners.

I want to see some photos as my trips proceed and I do not want the photo trip of lifetime to be lost. So for me, its a laptop, portable hard drive, SD cards that can handle at least 4 days of diving. I copy to the laptop and to the portable drive, confirm both have all pics and open many to confirm they are there. Only after that will I be willing to delete SD space for more.

I find I learn as I am traveling. I only get a few dive trips a yr so I see mistakes I make or where there is room for improvement during the trip. I carry about 110 lbs of dive/camera/computer gear and about 4 lbs of personal items like clothes/toothpaste.
For me, its about priorities and you can see where mine are based on what I pack.

As an alternative to carrying a laptop for transfers, if you will have an Android device with you, you might consider looking into the adapter in the photo below. I've had success transferring files between microSD cards and various USB storage devices with both an android tablet and a smartphone. The tablet worked with all the media devices shown and the phone worked with FAT32 formats but not NTFS. (I haven't tested exFAT)

View attachment 180983View attachment 180984View attachment 180985

Yes, the MobileLite would do that wirelessly. That's similar to what I was considering.

I tried using an Android phone ( LG Nexus - rooted for OTG) to view/manage SD cards (Kingston 8gb Class10), worked once and then unfortunately, it wiped a card mid-trip losing a day of video so was not too pleased.... so Micro-SDs are not that robust, in future i'll be making backups as soon as I can...with a laptop..

- At least 2 SD cards
- Macbook Air and card reader to review and save (the battery life on the Air is great for watching movies on long flights or during down time on the liveaboard)
- Portable HD or USB drive for backup
- If there's wifi available on the boat or at stops along the way, wireless backup to your service of choice

I share photos with others using USB drives, if they bring one, or upload to Dropbox.

Back
Top Bottom