Liveaboard Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my post above: "Do not go below, read anything or look through binoculars."

From sailonline.com: "Avoid reading, looking at a chart, a compass etc. This increases the sickness. More generally, any task that requires focusing on some work is a potential sea sickness trigger."

From Jun '99 Diver Magazine: "On shorter cruises, avoiding activities that create or emphasize conflicts between your visual and vestibular cues can be helpful. Simply put, reading a book will provide the visual cue that you are stable while at the same time your body senses the motion of the boat. Just as reading in a moving car can create motion sickness, this could and does cause sea sickness onboard for many people. So avoid reading and writing while underway. "

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc,

I know you give excellent advice. OTOH, that part was buried in a rather long post. Since someone else suggested reading a book in a rather short post, I didn't want her to miss this point.

I appreciate that, and the "thank you" was sincere.

Just the thought of reading a book when I'm feeling a bit of the mal de mer makes me queasy.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I edited my post to keep people from getting confused.

:(

I remember being told to stare at the horizon for a reference...maybe this helps your brain realize that you are moving since the horizon will apparently be moving up and down. I didnt look at it like this, but instead I just thought focusing on any point would work. I WAS WRONG!

I am sorry for contributing bad information on scubaboard.com. It wasnt my intention to purposely give out bogus information in regards to seasickness. I was trying to give out purposeful information to thus help a fellow scubaboarder and diver. In the future I plan on being more careful with what I write as it could have a really detrimental affect on other users of this informational forum.

In retrospect, mistakes are how we learn. I will never forget this experience. Thank you all for pointing this out and educating me. It is times like these that we truly learn. I always welcome more knowledge into my life. I find that it enhances and stimulates ones self motivation.

This reminds me of an event that happened in my life back in 1983. I was 6 years old and playing in the sandbox in my backyard. I was hanging out in there for awhile playing with my Tonka trucks when I came across some small dark boulders that needed to be moved. I noticed that once I uncovered them that the smell was less than nice. I proceeded to use my Tonka bulldozer to lift these dark boulders out of the sandbox. It was then that I learned that these were not dark boulders, but instead, they were candy.

After eating the candy, my mother came out and saw this and sat down in the sandbox with me and she goes...Jason, we all make mistakes, but for future reference the sandbox is over there, now please get out of the litterbox so Sassy (our cat), can go to the bathroom.

Jason,

It takes a big man to admit his mistakes. I could have done without the story about the candy.

I'm more shocked he is able to remember 1983.....I know I don't, and I am the same age as Jep...hell, I'm happy to remember 1993.....damn keggars

I remember 1983 quite well. 1973 is also very clear. Who am I kidding, I remember 1963.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom