Liveaboard vs. staying at a hotel in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IRZL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that my question is a bit of a matter of a personal preference, but I would still dare to ask... My husband and I are going to Raja Ampat this December and need some help deciding whether to do liveaboard or stay in a hotel. He doesn't dive as much as I do because of the sinus problem, so 2 dives a day is enough for him. Our concern is that if we stay at a hotel we won't experience the full beauty of RA because they won't take us to the best sites. I should mention that never we tried liveaboard for our fours years of diving. If you think the hotel still a viable option, please make recommendations. Thank you!!!

What sort of 'hotel' are you expecting in Raja Ampat? I guess Misool Eco Resort may fit the bill for what you are after but other than that all I can think of are homestays.

Edited to add Kri Eco Resort.

Last edited:
We stayed with Papua Explorers, in central, which was lovely. And the diving was great. I'm sure liveaboards can and do take you farther afield, but there are very many excellent and renowned sites near (among others) Papua Explorers, Kri Eco Resort, etc.

The resort will also organize more land based excursions, but there isn't a whole lot to do there if you're not diving. Raja Ampat is a very remote area, with amazing nature, and one of the most beautiful places I've been to. But there are other far cheaper places that are equally beautiful above water with better infrastructure / more to offer for non-divers for less money. But if you do dive it's pretty compelling. I'd gladly visit Papua Explorers again in a heartbeat.

Thank you both for the great information. It' a hard decision to make, we just don't want to miss the whole point of diving in RA if we stay on land (Papua Explorers (for example). My husband is diving, but no more than twice a day usually. Did anyone dove with Aggressor for 7 days in RA? What was the experience?

Of course staying in a resort can't take you to both northern and southern areas divespots. However if you select Dampier area, I would recommend staying at a resort than doing a liveaboard ! All Dampier strait major dive sites are located within 15min-1h speedboat range.

I stayed at Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, the surroundings are beautiful, steep landscape covered with jungle trees, sulphur crested lorikeets playing on the top of the big trees at sunset,,Also it's not as expensive as the top (over?)priced resorts like Raja4divers or Sorido resort, The few present guests may also testify that their too discreet advertising located them below the market radar, I had two guides and one boat for myself without asking anaything
Add on top of that my non diving wife was very happy at RADL since the A/C bungalows are nice and the jetty is perfect for sunbathing or snorkeling.

Of course staying in a resort can't take you to both northern and southern areas divespots. However if you select Dampier area, I would recommend staying at a resort than doing a liveaboard ! All Dampier strait major dive sites are located within 15min-1h speedboat range.

I stayed at Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, the surroundings are beautiful, steep landscape covered with jungle trees, sulphur crested lorikeets playing on the top of the big trees at sunset,,Also it's not as expensive as the top (over?)priced resorts like Raja4divers or Sorido resort, The few present guests may also testify that their too discreet advertising located them below the market radar, I had two guides and one boat for myself without asking anaything
Add on top of that my non diving wife was very happy at RADL since the A/C bungalows are nice and the jetty is perfect for sunbathing or snorkeling.

RADL is nice. I was there in Nov 2010. I went to Manta Sandy & Manta Slope several times to see those mantas, especially the one was fondly named "Darth Vader", due to it black color body (top & bottom). Also went to another island to see the bird of paradise. The lodge is owned by Grand Komodo I went with one of their liveaboards to Misool (Temukira) and twice with their other liveaboard (Tarata) to Komodo. One of these days I'll go with their combined RADL & liveaboard trip.

Last edited:
I know that my question is a bit of a matter of a personal preference, but I would still dare to ask... My husband and I are going to Raja Ampat this December and need some help deciding whether to do liveaboard or stay in a hotel. He doesn't dive as much as I do because of the sinus problem, so 2 dives a day is enough for him. Our concern is that if we stay at a hotel we won't experience the full beauty of RA because they won't take us to the best sites. I should mention that never we tried liveaboard for our fours years of diving. If you think the hotel still a viable option, please make recommendations. Thank you!!!
I had a great time with Papua Explorers in Dez 14 and woul go again everytime . Here is the report
Raja Ampat : Papua Explorers Resort on Gam

Hard choice only 2 dives a day makes a LOB pretty pricey. IMHO the best of RA is found in the Misool region, which you can do via the resort there or a LOB that includes that area in the itenerary. Going to RA and not dive the Misoolarea is missing the best of the best. The Kri area is great but in my opinion misses the biggest reason to go to RA. Why go all that way and expense to experience second best. I'm not knocking Kri it's just that Misool is waaay better.

Then again if your looking at this December you'd be lucky to find a LOB or Misool Eco Resort to have an opening. Kri might be you only choice.

I know, and have traveled with quite a few people who only dive 2 dives on a liveaboard. Liveaboards make it easier for you to do a third dive or a night dive since he will just be resting, reading or (depending on the boat) getting a massage while you are out diving. Since you are diving from a panga or tender, you are back before he will even miss you. You will still get to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery with amazing sun rises and sun sets. I vote for liveaboard if you can find one.

Back
Top Bottom