Liveaboards in Egypt.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UMBI diving out of Sharks Bay in Sharm el Shiek. I've done 5 liveaboards with them and had a great time on all of them. the dive center i work for here in israel has been with them for 10+ years. highly recommended.

Thank you for the recomendation, Barbara. :) I have considered Emperor as we dived with them when we were staying in Marsa Alam but they don't do whole packages including flights and I really want a package as it will be just my luck the dust cloud comes back and we can't fly but the liveaboard goes ahead without us!

Thank you very much for the information regarding Blue O2. Everyone seems to speak highly of them :)

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this forum post - you have all given me so much information and have convinced me that Blue 02 is the way to go. Someone said I was posting all wrong and I had to reply to everyone's post individually but this is just coming out as a long list of thank yous which seems daft so I would just like to say ONE BIG THANK YOU to everyone for taking the time to reply to my forum post - very much appreciated :D

Hi!

We are big fans of Royal Evolution and their 2 weeks Sudan trip leaving from Marsa Alam. However, it all really depends what you want to see. The Red Sea has it all; from fantastic wrecks to lush coral and great fish action. the Brothers are...WOW...The Thistlegorm, The Rosalie-Moller are fantastic wrecks with great coral and fish life.
When are you planning to go? Spring and fall are to be favored. Outside temperature are not too hot and sea conditions are good. Summer can be...well...VERY hot :) to say the least.

Enjoy!

I've done a pile of liveaboards over many years and while I tend to go for the Tornado or Emperor liveaboards when I can, I normally find it's the calendar and the itinerary that determines the boat these days.

Getting a few mates to agree on a particular set of dates, and then selecting an itinerary we all like (we're into wrecks mainly) often leaves us with a choice of only 1 or 2 boats anyway.

On the other hand, if you have more calendar freedom... as a rule, still I would focus on the itinerary you like which makes sense for that time of year. Like Brothers (not in winter)... Northern Wrecks... Then just pick the newest boat you can. You can't be sure which guide will be on the boat, but actually it's hard to go too wrong with any typical liveaboard boat if it's doing the kind of diving you like.

Thanks for all the information. I have to confess I am now a bit nervous about booking (we were planning to book in January for later in the year) after all this talk of sharks in the area. Anyone else worried or do you think I am worrying unnecessarily?

My advice would be not to worry. While there is a small chance that it may interfere with your diving, when you're on a liveaboard you have the maximum choice, so long as it is able to leave port - and the authorities are unlikely to stop it.

Normally the first check dive is done close to port so if they need anything they can dash back in to get it. Also because the dive sites near port are shallower and often not so great and you can safely put out-of-practice divers in the water without worrying about further damaging the coral.

I'm speculating but I would imagine any Sharm liveaboards would simply head south and leave the controversial area well behind them, doing the check dive somewhere else, and leaving the area, to make everyone more comfortable.

Another reason not to worry is because none of these attacks have happened on divers. The truth is when you're wearing scuba you're bigger, more mass, you're often part of a larger group and you're spewing loud confusing bubbles into the water. You're not thrashing about on the surface. While a shark might swing round to take a look, you just stay calm, look it in the eye, back away gently and it won't bother you.

That's not to say that there aren't good techniques in dealing with a shark encounter - keep blood out of the water (spearfishing wont be allowed from a liveaboard anyway), don't chase after it, establish eye contact. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't 'flap', have calm clear movements. If it's doesn't feel right, exit the water smoothly without making lots of splashing at the surface.

So if you're worried, just talk to your dive guide, and follow the rules he or she lays down. Ask questions if you're not clear.

I've dived with Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, lemons, hammerheads, reef sharks, duskies, galapagos sharks, an oceanic white tip etc... they're amazing creatures: follow the local rules and with a clear head you can enjoy the encounter safely.

By the time January rolls around there will be a clear plan to deal with the rogue shark - I hope it doesn't involve the mindless indiscriminate slaughter of huge numbers of these amazing animals.

Back
Top Bottom