Lobster Diving and Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will probably grab one of those just in case too.

Mesh bag is def easier than zip ties.

I would also usually leave a cooler in the car and zip lock bags...so when you wring them at the dock you can keep the tails cool on the way home. Freezer Zip lock bags keep the water off your tails if you are careful not to poke holes in them haha.

I thought I'd end up just bringing them home to clean, is that not the case? The boat helps with this?

We clean them right there on the dock using the same cleaning stations they use for fish. Just take the heads off, snap an antenna to clean the vein, throw head in ocean (unless someone collecting for stew). Bag'em up and set to go. Just hose down station when done. No fuss no muss. We stay just down the road so don't even both with ice for the trip home.

And I should clarify we don't use ice either. I think the individuals with small coolers just use it for the lid. Aren't the antennas a hassle with the mesh bags?

The mesh bag I use now is an old and small dive bag made of polypropylene or some similar synthetic material. Very robust and easy to get them in and out.

Last edited:
The easiest way to ID your lobsters is putting a bunch of colored rubber bands on your wrist. Don't use one color - use two in a distinct pattern on the antennae.

Messing with a small mesh bag and wiggling lobster on a busy boat during mini-season is kinda not cool.

Clean them at the dock. Someone will show you how to snap the heads off or do a nice surgical chop plus the antenna-up-the-arsehole to clean out the goop.

Do NOT take the whole critter home because then you have to deal with the carcasses. One year when I had my boat, I just wanted to get home so I did a quick haulout with the trailer at the Boca ramp and took the whole herd home. I asked the couple with us to stop by Publix and throw the sizeable bag of lobster bodies in the dumpster.

Of course, the guy did not listen and just went home. Geez Louise....the next day, his house was an EPA Superfund site.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom