Lobster types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called the FWC here and they said "technically" the only lobster species they watch bag limits is the spiny lobster. However, they DO NOT allow the harvest of ANY egg bearing bug, be it lobby or crab in Florida. A few years ago, they even thre away the minimum size for blue crabs, unless using traps.
I have not been able to find a good site on Virginia regulations that isn't "commercially directed."
Has anyone heard of a blue lobster? I've seen pix of them, similar to the big clawed Maine Lobby, but no explanations of why they are different colors.

California Lobster Season started this weekend. I wasn't dissappointed in that I only caught one on opening night. Maybe you'll understand why...

12 pounds 10 ounces... :D

mntdiver once bubbled... California Lobster Season started this weekend. I wasn't dissappointed in that I only caught one on opening night. Maybe you'll understand why...
12 pounds 10 ounces... :D
Hey it would take a half dozen or more of ours to match that feast!

I know that there are full time commercial lobsterman in New Jersey. Don't know how much farther south they go.

Also, next yr. for the New England Lobsterman, the min. weight of a lobster is going from a 1lb. to 1 1/4 lbs. Look for prices to go up for 2004.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Also, next yr. for the New England Lobsterman, the min. weight of a lobster is going from a 1lb. to 1 1/4 lbs. Look for prices to go up for 2004.

What state? The laws differ from state to state, and I know MA at least doesn't have a weight limit.

Spectre once bubbled...

What state? The laws differ from state to state, and I know MA at least doesn't have a weight limit.

The particular lobsterman they were interviewing was from NJ but I'm pretty sure they talked about a Fed Reg. on the issue.

The particular lobsterman they were interviewing was from NJ but I'm pretty sure they talked about a Fed Reg. on the issue.

Hmm... I've not seen anything on a federal level as far as lobster regulation goes. I'm pretty sure that stuff is all state regulated. I could be wrong.

Hmm... could be really interesting as that limits out the small culls, which are going to end up getting themselves eaten anyway most likely. Not to mention the hassle of trying to actually weigh lobsters on site.

I've not seen anything weight related in any of the potential regulation changes in massachusetts.

Spectre once bubbled...

Hmm... I've not seen anything on a federal level as far as lobster regulation goes. I'm pretty sure that stuff is all state regulated. I could be wrong.

Hmm... could be really interesting as that limits out the small culls, which are going to end up getting themselves eaten anyway most likely. Not to mention the hassle of trying to actually weigh lobsters on site.

I've not seen anything weight related in any of the potential regulation changes in massachusetts.

Minimum size for lobsters -- the "gauge" measure from the eye sockets to the end of the carapace -- has been increased for the last two years and will go up to 3 3/8 inches in 2004. That will ensure that New Jersey lobsters weigh at least 1 1/4 pounds, and push local lobstermen out of the 1-pound or "chicken" lobster market preferred by many consumers and restaurants

Minimum size for lobsters -- the "gauge" measure from the eye sockets to the end of the carapace -- has been increased for the last two years and will go up to 3 3/8 inches in 2004. That will ensure that New Jersey lobsters weigh at least 1 1/4 pounds, and push local lobstermen out of the 1-pound or "chicken" lobster market preferred by many consumers and restaurants

Right... That's all managed by the individual states Division of Marine Fisheries... it's not federal.

Also, with the current minimum for bugs in MA being 3 11/32, we're still pulling ones that are right about a lb and sometimes smaller. 1/32 difference isn't going to make a full 1/4 lb. But it's all still based on size and not weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom