Local IHOP Discriminates against US Armed Services Personnel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender,
I'd explain in full but I need to fix a server issue. In short had he joined any other branch of service including the reserves he would hev been considered in state automatically, the California National Guard is not however considered for residency in the state of california so it is directly an issue of what he joined.

One problem here... If you are referring to a state tuition waiver program, citizenship requirements are pretty defined. States require citizenship because they pay the waiver bills. Just because a soldier goes on a training tour, doesn't mean they deserve the right to claim residency - sorry, but I don't see the problem.

About the kid fired from his job because he joined the reserves - file a complaint. You have that right. IMHO, it doesn't matter if the job is minimum wage, or $100,000 per year.

However, there are serious gaps in the law that do not cover many situations. As a career Guardsman, I've dealt with this before and am saddened at all the loopholes. Unless he had orders in-hand and there were witnesses, it will be a hard case to prove.

FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO - contact the local Army legal office if he is signing up for the Reserves. If he is signing up for the Guard, you most likely have to contact an ombudsman at the the state level.

My experience with an ombudsman here in Oklahoma was pretty sad. I had to do all the legal work myself and almost had to hire my own attorney because the state really didn't care - even though it was all within the definition of the law.

The Army is a little different from what I hear. CONTACT THE LOCAL LEGAL OFFICE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. There should be a legal office at his reserve unit.

Even if you don't push a complaint - get the word out to the media.

I get mad as hell evertime I hear such a story. These S*** bag A**hole managers are greedy enough to fill thier fat bellies with money, but aren't even willing to give ONE inch. It is the blood of soldiers who paid for this grubby BA**STARD's comfort. If there is a God, I can only hope Karma pays a visit. Regardless, I'll be in line to pee on his grave.

OK, ranting over...

Tech Admin:
Not to hijack your thread but I similar thing happened/ is happening to a good friend of mine. After joining the ARMY National Guard and completing 8 months of training this guy, our solider, is fighting the university system in California to establish residency. While they consider active duty military residents, they don't consider the California national guard enough military for California residency. Never mind the fact that he spent 8 months in training, never mind the whole active duty, constant training part of the job and never mind the fact that he can be called to Iraq or any other place in the world with no notice, the fact that he doesn't meet someone's idea of what is military disqualifies him for residency. I know all of the sayings about weekend warriors but as many have said, serving your country is serving your country. Bottom line, we live in a two tier-world and sometimes things come up that are simply wrong: there are people who want the military to be there for them but they don't like the people in it or the idea of the institution? Personally I've got two nice pieces of paper telling the world how much I know about Politics and Sociology but what four years taught me is that people like to avoid reality and believe their own little fantasies about how the world can work.

My advice, follow up with everyone you can. -- Recruiter, friends/family who are still serving, news, anyone who wants to listen should hear the story, it only takes one person to reach the right person.

Back
Top Bottom