Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was he retired? I read that he had been fired for corruption.
Where did you read that? I never saw any article saying that. Not saying that wasn't written, but the chisme I heard a few days prior to the shooting was that he was forced to resign because he was a Joaquin-appointed judge and there is currently a purge going on in the ayuntamiento. Never saw or heard anything about corruption, but as I said, that doesn't mean you didn't read that somewhere. Can you point me to the article, blog, or website?

Where did you read that? I never saw any article saying that. Not saying that wasn't written, but the chisme I heard a few days prior to the shooting was that he was forced to resign because he was a Joaquin-appointed judge and there is currently a purge going on in the ayuntamiento. Never saw or heard anything about corruption, but as I said, that doesn't mean you didn't read that somewhere. Can you point me to the article, blog, or website?
I can't recall. It was on one of my local Facebook groups

Local news outlets on the island are reporting a new wave of rental car break-ins. The rental agencies say the cars are being targeted by thieves because the cars are clearly identified as rentals and they are warning their customers (once again) never to leave anything in the car they don't want to be stolen. Besides that, a gang of kids is stealing rental car license plates and then ransoming them back to tourists.

I have heard of other Mexican tourists parking their private cars on the east side of the island recently and when they return from the beach they find it missing. Later, they get a call demanding cash to find out where the thieves left the car, usually in the bush off the transversal highway. How they get the car owner's number I don't know. Maybe a cell phone was left in the car?

Another risky place to park is in the street by Caleta (the car ferry pier). I know of three cars that had their windows smashed this year and the goods inside of them stolen.
My guess is that the car rental company was in on it.

15 murders this year. Another last night.
Way to high but it wouldn't make the top 15 cities in the USA

Screenshot_2022-12-18-05-04-05-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

It wouldn't make the top 20. Your snip left off #20, but I guess it's still more than 15. I've been to many of those cities and felt comfortable in almost all of them. But then I feel comfortable on the island. I'm always in bed before midnight and avoid exposure very far from the plaza or Mega. I think driving to my local airport is riskier than my visits but I make the trip by it to visit my descendants and doctors often.

View attachment 759296
The absolute number for top 20 American cities is higher. However, as we look at population of St Louis or any other city on the list, the adjusted rate for Cozumel is a lot more concerning. Also the trend for Cozumel I think is showing progressive increase. This definitely gives some food for thought…

The absolute number for top 20 American cities is higher. However, as we look at population of St Louis or any other city on the list, the adjusted rate for Cozumel is a lot more concerning. Also the trend for Cozumel I think is showing progressive increase. This definitely gives some food for thought…
These are rates per 100K population, Cozumel is around 110 to 120K (guestimate)

It wouldn't make the top 20. Your snip left off #20, but I guess it's still more than 15. I've been to many of those cities and felt comfortable in almost all of them. But then I feel comfortable on the island. I'm always in bed before midnight and avoid exposure very far from the plaza or Mega. I think driving to my local airport is riskier than my visits but I make the trip by it to visit my descendants and doctors often.
True but the attempt in front of Chadraui about 50 meters from the police station after the police fingered and set up the guy and then ran their own local episode of 'The Running Man' was pretty good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom