Locking your luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the advice, great info. Will try the TSA locks with zip ties and see what happens, as well we will call LAX and DIA. Thanks again, DAX

WarmWaterDiver:
The TSA lost or baggage handlers broke most of our TSA approved locks in the last 3 years. Seems like the TSA would take the lock off and most often not put it back on, or the hasp would be bent to where the hasp snapped when opening after retreiving our baggage. I use zip ties anymore. We haven't had anything pilfered yet - just boneheaded handling of our stuff.

Zip ties work really well when flying on the small aircraft when you must 'gate check' your carryon. I found a package of zip ties in assorted colors including eye-popping green & pink at the hardware store one time. These really help me point out if someone else is picking up one of our bags 'by mistake' at the gate at the other end or the luggage carousel, so I can intervene quickly. I keep spares in the zipper pouch of my carryon.

WOW! I've flown about a dozen times in the past couple of years and haven't had any problems with my locks. What airports are you flying out of and into? I typically fly Phoenix, Tucson, Philly, and Orlando. At international airports, the passenger is right there during the check.

Let's see - since 9/11; Cleveland, Akron/Canton (this is one where they request you leave the lock on, unlocked, when you check your bags in and they'll lock it after they search it - but no lock at the destination), Indianapolis, Chicago (O'Hare), Houston, Miami, New Orleans, San Juan, Atlanta, Cincinnati, LAX, Denver, La Guardia, Austin, San Antonio, St. Croix, and Key West all easily come to mind without a real review of our frequent flier records. I'm sure I'm leaving some out. We travel for business as well as for pleasure.

Would you like for me to list the non-US ones as well? I think we've actually had better luck outside the US with this system, when checking bags for return. And by far not all non-US airports have you 'right there' during the check - but that is more common in developing countires who lack either the machinery or personnel trained in the use of the machinery to increase the automation of the process FYI.

The best use we currently have for the locks is when having to 'gate check' carryons as I mentioned earlier - with a shocking pink or eye-popping green zip tie to keep an eye out for. This helps discourage curiosity and 'mix-ups' on the ramp or jetway.

The most amusing use was at Montego Bay where a Jamaican TSA worker asked me if I would give her three of my zip ties. When I pulled out the package, I asked which colors she wanted - red, gold, and green? She just smiled and took three of my plain black ones and thanked me, then told me where our flight's real gate was that day (as opposed to the bulletin board posting). That was a timely tip - if you've ever traveled through Mo'bay and had to change planes, you know what I'm talking about (Delta and Air Jamaica codeshare).

I do print copies of the TSA permitted / prohibited details on scuba gear and leave one copy on top of my stuff, and a second copy in the inside lid zipper bag along with one of my business cards with my home info on the back of the card. This has helped at times as the x-ray screeners in the midwest are always freaked out when we're traveling for a dive trip - our regulator sets and dive compuetrs aren't things we trust to checked baggage. When they ask for the carryon to be opened, the first thing they're greeted with is their own list. Saves some time & hassle when they really don't understand what they're looking at.

I had TSA pre approve a gun case only to denie it when I got to the airport. Had to pay $75 for a $15 dollar case. They inspected it, locked it and sealed the locks with TSA tape. At the next stop, the locks had been forced open and retaped. The next TSA guy wanted me to open the locks. I told him that since they had destroyed a new case (along with the whole story) that he was free to try to get it open as the locks no longer opened.
Someday soon, TSA will come to an end and McDonalds will be fully staffed again.

You can always go the old fashioned route and pack all your dirty socks, damp wetsuit and laundry etc.. on top of all the valuables...

Works on the way back maybe, which isn't uncommon for me to do, but do you pack dirty socks and a damp wetsuit at the start of your trips? So far I haven't (a definite sign the married life has treated me better than the pre-married life did).

I JUST got back from Bonaire this morning, and I had no problems with the TSA approved locks on my bag. I went through 4 airports on the way there, and my bag went through at least one more than I did (a separate story). I bought some bright yellow TSA locks online, the ones with the indicators.

BTW, since you need them soon, consider that they sell travel accessories at AAA offices in many places.

I have a dumb question for you guys that advocate zip ties on bags (and I still tend to call them tywraps) How do you cut them off when you arrive at your destination? Since we can't carry knives, scissors or nail clippers in our carry-on, how do you cut the Tywraps? I busted a zipper in Cozumel a couple years ago trying to break a tywrap.

Wristshot

kidspot:
You can always go the old fashioned route and pack all your dirty socks, damp wetsuit and laundry etc.. on top of all the valuables...

Those things are my valuables! :D

Wristshot:
I have a dumb question for you guys that advocate zip ties on bags (and I still tend to call them tywraps) How do you cut them off when you arrive at your destination? Since we can't carry knives, scissors or nail clippers in our carry-on, how do you cut the Tywraps? I busted a zipper in Cozumel a couple years ago trying to break a tywrap.

Wristshot

My Dad keeps a pair of cutters in the small outside (unlocked) pocket of his suitcase.

You can carry nail clippers in your carryon, though they were breaking the little files off of them for awhile. I just leave nailclippers in an outside pocket of a checked bag, since they seem to multiply like wire hangers in my house anyway.

Back
Top Bottom