Locking your luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wristshot:
I have a dumb question for you guys that advocate zip ties on bags (and I still tend to call them tywraps) How do you cut them off when you arrive at your destination? Since we can't carry knives, scissors or nail clippers in our carry-on, how do you cut the Tywraps? I busted a zipper in Cozumel a couple years ago trying to break a tywrap.

Wristshot

You mean you don't have any access, absolutely zero, to any knives etc. at your destinations? This usually isn't a problem for us. I'm curious where you typically stay that leaves you with no ability to ask the lodging folks, or if there's a restaurant associated with the property, those folks, to borrow a sharp knife or to bring one to your room. I can't imagine a dive shop without a way to cut a ziptie either- another place that maybe something could be borrowed from.

If there's something you need really ready access to, before reaching your accomodations, by all means, I'd recommend you don't zip-tie it in your checked baggage - keep it on your person as a 'personal item' or put it in your carryon and don't lock or zip-tie the carryon. If it can wait until you're at your accomodations I don't see why something couldn't be borrowed from the staff once you've arrived.

But, as others have noted, you can place a folded knife in the outer zipper pouch. I have a number of these as 'gimme' things for safety awards (isn't that Darwinism!), vendors, etc. that I'm certainly not heartbroken if they're not in the pouch at my destination, but I haven't had any problems with these being lost so far.

And I'm really used to calling these 'wire ties' in a previous job role, but zip-ties works as well for me these days. A rose by any other name y'know.

Thanks Kidspot and Damselfish for the good replies (without attitude). I never thought of that. I can certainly scrounge an old pair of cutters or clippers or a small knife. I will consider that next time.

However, since I now have 5 TSA locks, it may no longer be an issue.

WarmWaterDiver:
You mean you don't have any access, absolutely zero, to any knives etc. at your destinations? . . . . I'm curious where you typically stay that leaves you with no ability to ask . . . to borrow a sharp knife or to bring one to your room. . . .

If there's something you need really ready access to, before reaching your accomodations, by all means, I'd recommend you don't zip-tie it in your checked baggage - keep it on your person as a 'personal item' or put it in your carryon and don't lock or zip-tie the carryon. If it can wait until you're at your accomodations I don't see why something couldn't be borrowed from the staff once you've arrived.
Not quite sure why you lept to those conclusions. I just asked for how they cut their tywraps off. I am not sure why you would think that I was asking about how I should choose to pack my belongings. Since I am now on Staff I guess I should just stop my comments there.

Wristshot

Sorry you seem to think my post has 'attitude', but your post on breaking a zipper rather than seeking a knife sure didn't seem to make sense, if you had time to seek one, unless there was something really time sensitive or location sensitive you needed from the bag you broke the zipper on. I had noted you were the one saying it was a dumb question in your post - so I thought you had some sense of humor by seeing you posting that yourself. Your signature line also seems to have a bit of wry humor in it, coupled with the content of your post. Or is it 'attitude'?

Is there something I'm not supposed to post as a non-staff SB member? I'm puzzled by your last sentence in particular.

Let me know if you want to discuss more - I'll be happy to explain my thinking in more detail if it's not more readily apparent with this clarification.

Just remember, TSA is a U.S. program. On my trips to PNG, my TSA locks were cut off. The Australians do not, evidently, have the TSA keys for them. If you are changing planes in other countries your bags are at the mercy of their checkers.

Wildcard:
<snip>
Someday soon, TSA will come to an end and McDonalds will be fully staffed again.
OMG, ROFLMAO!

Any chance of getting a coke alert next time?

All the best, James

Get dive equipment insurance and be safe. Try to get your regulator and instruments in your carry on luggage and hope for the best.

Stan

How to get the cable ties ( Original name ) off your zippers when you arrive at your destination.

After you in install them , leave enough room to get a key in them.
Cut the free end off close to the captivating end.
When you get to your destination, insert the key and twist the tie until it it comes off.

No knife, cutters etc., are needed.

JRScuba:
How to get the cable ties ( Original name ) off your zippers when you arrive at your destination.

After you in install them , leave enough room to get a key in them.
Cut the free end off close to the captivating end.
When you get to your destination, insert the key and twist the tie until it it comes off.

No knife, cutters etc., are needed.

...except when TSA removes it to look through the bag and places one of their one back on it, cinches it really tight, and doesn't cut the end off. :06:

Otherwise a very good suggestion. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom