Log book dinosaur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still log on paper since 1991, I know how many dives I have done, those who don't log dives don't know, they can only estimate ….. perhaps!

I'm a fairly obsessive logger of all sorts of things, including dives. I've logged every dive I've made since 1980, including dock-repair dives, unsuccessful anchor-finding dives in 7 feet of murky water... everything.

Nevertheless, I can only estimate how many dives I've made, because my paper logs were destroyed in hurricanes in Galveston. Twice.

Now I only log electronically. Everything is synced between my laptop, my desktop, my smartphone, and the cloud and is redundantly backed up along with everything else I store electronically. And, yes, I can pull out my smartphone in its compact waterproof case on the dive boat in Cozumel if I want to check or record something. Underwater, I let my downloadable dive computer do the logging for me.

Paper is not necessarily better or safer.

It looks like those that log dives have a LOT of different reasons that they do so. The most common one being so that they can feel soooooooooooo much superior to anyone that doesnt log dives. :p

Hi all,

When I was first trained I was taught always to use a logbook. But I pulled it out in Cozumel this weekend and this was met with exclamations of surprise and awe. Do people not use logbooks anymore?

Anymore? I never did. I do remember the vast majority of my adventures, sometimes it just takes something to jog the memory. Do I recall the temperature, the visibility or exact bottom time, what weight I had or the color of my fins, no. Do I care, no.

N

I still have a paper log as a backup, but it felt a little rudimentary to me. I don't trust logging programs on a computer, because hard drives can fail, computers can be stolen, developing programs may be discontinued and they may become outdated and unusable. Also, I would have to haul the computer with me to fill in dive details while they are fresh in my memory. I also don't trust commercial online logging sites, because I don't know how they use my information or how they back up their data. They can also go out of business. So I found a solution from making my own online log. Virtually fail-proof cloud storage, accessible anywhere, only I have access to my data and the log "grows with me" as I can add any feature I want when they become useful to me. Since I love tinkering with this sort of stuff and compiling statistics from my dives the log has become a part of my diving hobby that I enjoy almost as much as the diving itself! The only problem is that hosting the site is a little costly in the long run, but so is diving in general.

Back
Top Bottom