Log Book Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Make sure you do in fact have 60 signatures in your logbook. Most ITCs require it. Some more or less.

Not mine, the one I used to work for, or any others I know, it must only be the ones in your head, KiC.

Like the general advice has been, get the Training dives signed off by the instructor certifying you. Recreational dives...you can get them signed but doesn't matter.

It might not be a problem for the Walter Association of Underwater Instructors (WAUI), but if you ever need to mail in a copy of your logbook to NAUI or PADI or SSI or YMCA to become a divemaster or instructor, then it could become a show-stopper.

Utterly incorrect, at least for PADI.

You don't need to mail your log book to PADI to become a divemaster.

The only time anyone has actually checked my log book is when I've gone out on a boat. Eagle's Nest and Wahoo, both Long Island boats, will look.

No one has ever looked at my log book since my OW dives. No one teaching me anyway. I show it to my students and dive buddies but I have never had an instructor or dive operator look at it. But I do get signatures since I have a crappy memory!

Joe

I do look at the logbooks of my students, but I don't care if they are signed. Signatures are to validate the log. Guess what folks - signatures are as easy to fake as logbooks.

a logbook anymore. I download my dives from my dive computer and print out a graph, annodate it with names, places, and boat name if applicable. By then the day is over, the dive buddies gone, and its just me and the computer record on nice 8-1/2" X 11" sheets in a three ring binder. And yes, once someone did ask for proof of my diving record and that was a live-aboard. After filling up a dozen logbooks it is only me ever looking at them.

Sorry to disagree, but if you print the pages and put them in a 3 ring binder you do use a logbook. The 3 ring binder is your logbook.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

The only time anyone has actually checked my log book is when I've gone out on a boat. Eagle's Nest and Wahoo, both Long Island boats, will look.

In NJ, I havent even been asked for a CCard let alone a dive log!!! Sheesh!

Sorry Karl. I have been through courses for NAUI, PADI, TDI, ACUC, IANTD, SDI, and SSI and I have never been asked to mail in a copy of my logbook. When I became an instructor, my course director just wanted a copy of the last page of the logbook to verify the number of logged dives but I have never had a problem with no signatures. Half of the divers out there don't log their dives anymore period. Signatures are good to have but not required and nobody that I know of requires anyone to mail in a copy of logbooks to any agency. For one thing...the agency usually doesn't have anything to do with your certification except to mail you the card anyway, the instructor/IT keeps all of your records and they never get past him/her.

Make sure you do in fact have 60 signatures in your logbook. Most ITCs require it. Some more or less.

I do know for a fact that PADI, NAUI, CMAS, YMCA, SSI (NASDS) don't require you to mail in a copy of your log pages nor will they penailize you for not getting signatures.

Storing the dives in your computer is a great idea and fun too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom