Log books... how often do places ask to see them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always been asked for my cards but never for a logbook. I think the check out dive is far more telling than any log book.

I asked a crusty old diver on a dive boat a couple of years ago if he keep a log book. His reply was "My experience has exceeded my ability by such a wide margin ,why bother". He has been diving since the late 60's.

Yeah, no requests for me either for the logbook or c-card. Haven't been diving too long yet but was a little disappointed that the dive shops I've gone to didn't ask for anything when I got air fills. Going to Tahiti soon so we'll see if they ask for anything there.

My ScubaPro Smart Com downloads to my PC and I print the full dive profile out for every dive (besides manually entering the basic data by hand in the logbook page). It prints to the right size for the logbook and I've got my paper punch set up for the right hole locations.

I understand that Bonne Terre Mines requires you to show them your log book and that they make you watch a safety video and then test your basic buoyancy skills in 20' of water before they take you into the mine. They're the most particular place I've ever heard of.

While I have never been asked for my log book, I recently had an "experience" diving with my son in Marathon, FL.

For some of the deeper wrecks in the Keys operators frequently look for and AOW card or proof of a deep dive within the last 6months to a year - usually by answering a question on the release form.

However Abyss Charters requires a log book for proof a deep dive (such as our planned dive on the Thunderbolt (or you must pay for DM - which they put in the water anyway). While I "forgot" to bring my son's log book I did have his computer with a deep logged dive from 2 days earlier - a multilevel dive with a 92' max for 54 minutes. My son is 17 and a good diver with great skills and super air consumption.

The office lady said the computer was not proof as it could have been anybody's, of course I countered that I could write anthing in a log book. In the end after a bit of a hassle they let us go. Another first was they checked our nitrox cards even though we brought our own tanks.

Well the long of it was the Thunderbolt was bit of a challange (more so for some) as the current was ripping on the line as well as on the wreck.

A mature (read old and fat) guy with a AOW on the boat with about a year of diving experience could barely set-up his rig and was low on air by the time he hit the wreck. The 2 other divers trying to spearfish near the wreck had mucho issues just getting down to the wreck as they got off the line way too soon.

My son and I had a great dive even with less than great vis. (no decent camera shots). Of course I could not help looking at the DM and the captain as my son came back with over 1000PSI using a Alu 80 on a dive with 126' max depth.

I should note that Abyss has a superbly maintained and large 6 pack (34') and is extremely focused on safety.

Nearly every place I have gone, has requested that you bring
it in their literature. In 5 trips and 8 different shops/operators,
only twice has anybody actually looked at it and one of those
was the instructor for the advanced open water training.

All them wanted to see a C card though.
(Dallas, Bonaire, Fiji, Roatan, Cozumel)

--- bill

airsix:
I've never even been asked for my C-card, let alone my log book.
-Ben M.

That's rather disheartening - all this time and money to join this rarified club, and then people don't want to see proof.... :shakehead

I don't know if this is standard at all Sandals, but Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica asked to see a log book. If you didn't have one they made you do a pool test before they would take you out.

I dive a computer and didn't like any of the log pages, so I designed my own and had a printer make a 1000 and only cost $14.00

EvilSlumLord:
Yeah, no requests for me either for the logbook or c-card. Haven't been diving too long yet but was a little disappointed that the dive shops I've gone to didn't ask for anything when I got air fills. Going to Tahiti soon so we'll see if they ask for anything there.

My ScubaPro Smart Com downloads to my PC and I print the full dive profile out for every dive (besides manually entering the basic data by hand in the logbook page). It prints to the right size for the logbook and I've got my paper punch set up for the right hole locations.

Ahhh ESL: Maybe you've just been going to those slacker dive shops. Next time tell them they should be on point and ask for your card. Sounds like you're organized for your Tahiti trip. I hope you can relax a bit and enjoy it. (Bora Bora is the best btw.) :wink:

Ontwreckdiver:
I don't know if this is standard at all Sandals, but Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica asked to see a log book. If you didn't have one they made you do a pool test before they would take you out.

A few years ago I dove with Sandals in Negril. I did the pool check-out since I hadn't dove in 10 years. Passed with flying colors. I don't remember their policy regarding log books but if I had one with recent entries I probably wouldn't have needed to do the check-out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom