Log dives or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of logging dives. As previously mentioned, you can compare your first dives with the later ones, check the wieght needed for specific wetsuits, etc. I also add pictures of marine life and draw pictures of dive sites. If I want to be in contact with new buddies, I write down their e-mail addresses. At the end of my dive holidays I write down the contact details of diving centres and their prices. It helps me with planning the following holidays. I just love going through the descriptions, especially during these winter days. I'm sure in the future it will be a wonderful memory log.

Again it depends on your own choice. Some people simply don't like logging and find it useless. However, again, I think it depends on the enthusiasm of the OWD instructor. Mine was just like idivetrain - showing how wonderful it is to log, making us sign her dive log, showing us that even with 700 dives under her belt, every time there is something interesting to write. And what was more - she didn't sign our dive if it wasn't fully logged or didn't have any description!

Logging is a good way to track your progress, and remember what you did and where. Until I hit my Advanced, I was pretty anal about getting my buddy to sign my book, but now that I have 'the card' I'm not as bad...but I'm keeping track of where, when how long and my air consumption...I usually add my weighting in for reference. It came in handy when I was in the Keys the past few weeks, and I was able to have a good baseline for my weighting.

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES. Oh, if I didn't make myself clear, YES!!!!!! I am speaking from experience on this one. I was stationed on Oahu from 1990 to 1994. I started out logging all my dives to include specific notes on each one. Well, that got old and I stopped. As a result, I now have only 91 logged dives. Had I logged all the others, I'd have conservatively over 500. Don't make the same mistake I made. Now, with a computer, it's as easy as downloading the info into the PC.

I think logging dives is a very valuable tool. It can be helpful in planning future dives on the same dive site. Some logs even have a line to write what you learned and/or what you would have changed.

They are also a record of your training/experience. With all the cert agency changes/consolidations that have taken place (with more to come) you might find yourself unable to replace a lost C-Card without one. If you have a logbook that had an instructor sign off section make a copy and put it in a safe place.

I think logging dives is a very valuable tool. It can be helpful in planning future dives on the same dive site. Some logs even have a line to write what you learned and/or what you would have changed.

Of course it's a valuable tool, but some folks don't want to log dives and they aren't going to log dives.

As for a special line to write this or that, go to a record book from an office supply store and get away from preprinted logs. You'll have more flexibility to record the things you believe are useful to you. My first two logbooks were very restricting, then I moved to one that was less so andit was great - usually. Once I looked outside the box, I was much happier logging my dives. Sometimes I write pages about a single dive, sometimes I draw pictures, sometimes I squeeze several dives on one page. Flexibility to log what I want to log is a wonderful thing.

I agree with most of the people. I love logging my dives so I can check my progress and stroll down memory lane. I still like logging my dives manually with a log book even though downloading it from the computer is easy and fast (so long as you actually download it and don't drop your computer and lose your dives... it has happened to me).

As for an online dive log, I haven't seen one, but that sounds like a great idea! That way if you lose your dive logs (which I have also done), you have a way to retrieve your info. Love to hear if anyone else has heard of an online dive log.

I have mainly done warm water dives and have logged them all. It is neat looking back and going down memory lane. I also note unusual things or antics by other divers (they probably do that about me too).

For the last year I have been using a PDA and AquaDive to log my dives... makes it so much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom