Logging your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
Is this a "requirement" to log your dives each time you dive? I never have, but just noticed this find print on a dive in the bahamas..

"Note: Minimum age is 10 years. Guests must present a valid C-Card in order to participate and must have logged a dive within the last 3 years."

Some places require to see your dive logs, but it's something I've never understood. Tell me how many dives my log has to show, and I can produce a log that shows that many dives or more by the time I show up :wink:

If you use a computer, ask them if they'll accept the computer history - many places will. If they won't, then sit down and spend some time to fill out a log - and consider it part of the cost of the trip.

Now, all that said, I used to never log any of my dives, and my wife has. I'm starting to regret that choice as I have spent some time reading parts of her log, and I'm remembering a lot of really cool things that I've forgotten. I'm trying to develop the habit of logging again, but not logging is a hard habit to break.

its a personal choice when it comes to logging dives. i log all my dives, i enjoy reading them time to time and remembering them. id be gutted if i lost any of my logs!!!!!

Is this a "requirement" to log your dives each time you dive? I never have, but just noticed this find print on a dive in the bahamas..

"Note: Minimum age is 10 years. Guests must present a valid C-Card in order to participate and must have logged a dive within the last 3 years."

I have been asked to provide date of last dive numerous times but have never been asked to show log (nine years of diving). I do log all of my dives, however, to provide info for later use such as temperatures, vis, thermal protection and weights, SCR, names of personnel, quality of dive site, etc.

......and I'm remembering a lot of really cool things that I've forgotten. I'm trying to develop the habit of logging again, but not logging is a hard habit to break.

This is why I love my computer.

This is the sort of thing that I get. On this particular dive I did not make any notes, but I am able to. I have all my computer logged dives on my website so that I can go back anytime and "re-live"......it is great if you want to see what conditions were at a particular site or SAC calculations.....

the log is traditionally the way to show exactly what you have done, some dives require specific experience/ training to be able to do.....hence you would show your logbook to demonstrate you have the experience/ skills to do the dive.....the choice to log or not log is a separate issue, they are probably looking to see that you have been in the water, and not for specifics in your experience, ie cold, altitude, deep, deco, etc,

I log all my dives by downloading my computer. I actually have pretty good records (except for the dives I lost when my Vytec went down) but I've wondered what a dive op who requires seeing your log book would do, because I'm not going to drag my laptop to the shop! (I can show them the profile on my computer, though :) )

I find it tedious to manually log dives and have never been asked to show my log. The dive log is mostly for yourself, you might need one if you want to become an instructor / DM.

I do however like to keep a record and ended up with a simple excel spreadsheet. It is very fast to fill out, contains the critical information I want, so it gets used. Since it is free and comes with spell check, its a done deal for me.

outside of interesting dives, I was happy to let my computer (wrist mount) keep track... but, seeing how they need a recorded number of dives for DM(+/-), I figured I best keep logging for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom