Logs - Do you or don't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgtmnstr:
I log them all, like some folks said some courses require them as documentation, I belive PADI wants 25 before you can start Rescue, the dives with instructors and students for DM and 100 logged for instructor cert. So it can't hurt, only takes a minute to write them in, and the computer downloads have plenty of remarks space.
Plus it helps with the memory loss...........

I wish that in my youth that I had logged my dives, but I didn't so they are lost. Same with military dives. I stared diving in 56 and went ito the mid 70's, when I quit diving. I got the urge again in 2001 and started again. I have logged all these dives and will continue to do so. My two dive computers help a lot too. :eyebrow:

6Gill:
I wish that in my youth that I had logged my dives, but I didn't so they are lost. Same with military dives. I stared diving in 56 and went ito the mid 70's, when I quit diving. I got the urge again in 2001 and started again. I have logged all these dives and will continue to do so. My two dive computers help a lot too. :eyebrow:
Sir, in 56 was that near side security for the parting of the Red Sea? I think it's great you got back to it. All the best.

When I started I logged almost all my dives including the teaching ones and such. Once I hit about 250-300 I stopped for a while but one day I just decided it would be good to log again for all the reasons stated above. I started logging again when I got back north but still need to get the download gizmo for the vytec.

DiverDunk:
Since I first stumbled onto this board earlier this week, I've seen a few threads realted to logging dives that made me curious. Do you diligently log all of you dives or not - and why?

Steve

No, my logbook is just a reference for site descriptions, route descriptions, interesting information and firsts. I think I have about 20% of my dives logged.

Having said that I do think it's important to log some dives. Log the first 200 or so to keep doors open and then log enough to establish that you're still active.

R..

Must admit I've logged them all so far.
It's been handy for stuff like weighting and kit etc, also for the lay out of certain sites and locations of fixed moorings (handy for future guiding).
On a personal level, it's good to look back and see what I saw and when, and what I did with whom.
Some training systems need proof of a certain amount of dives too, though I guess once I get beyond the 200 mark, that won't be quite so necessary.
I guess if I worked solidly for a couple of years, the logging side might get neglected a touch.

I have logged all of my dives. I have referred to it when returning to a location that I have not dove in awhile, plus I have been asked for a log book at numerous dive resorts. It's also fun to really know how many dives that I have made and how long I have been underwater.

When I was initially certified no one in our little group of divers kept any kind of log... of course there were only two ratings in those days too - Scuba Diver and Instructor.
Never even thought of logging dives for a couple of decades, until the Lovely Young Kat started a course and came home with a logbook. That's when I learned about BCs and SPGs and Safe Seconds too.
Now I log 'em all, and use it as a reference as well as "for the memories."
Rick

Interesting to hear about the Yukon. Dove it a little over a year ago, mid-week. The only thing they said is "if your not Wreck Certified we don't want you going inside, but of course we can't stop you". I'm not Wreck Certified but my buddy and I did find the Engine Room.

mjh:
Interesting to hear about the Yukon. Dove it a little over a year ago, mid-week. The only thing they said is "if your not Wreck Certified we don't want you going inside, but of course we can't stop you". I'm not Wreck Certified but my buddy and I did find the Engine Room.
I'm sure it depends on the Dive Op. you use.

Back
Top Bottom