lol they're **ALL** cattle boats, aren't they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs:
We'd all prefer to dive only from large boats with only our closest buddies or one or two others on-board, but the fact is that little 6-packs are just as cramped as the "cattle boats" when the cattle boats are full, and they're less stable (ie comfortable) as well. In my third year here I'm seeing the pattern: every season out-of-towners looking for advice rant that they're too good for the local "cattle boats" as though there are plenty of options.

I've asked for that help for another reason. Recently my friend came back from Florida. One of her dives- twenty divers, most on the verge of panic, in the middle of sand, with a small dead piece of reef for them to look at. Not much fun. I'd like to avoid that. Maybe you could help us out???

mrobinson:
I've asked for that help for another reason. Recently my friend came back from Florida. One of her dives- twenty divers, most on the verge of panic, in the middle of sand, with a small dead piece of reef for them to look at. Not much fun. I'd like to avoid that. Maybe you could help us out???
Where are you headed, or did i miss that thread in my browse?

MikeJacobs:
We'd all prefer to dive only from large boats with only our closest buddies or one or two others on-board, but the fact is that little 6-packs are just as cramped as the "cattle boats" when the cattle boats are full, and they're less stable (ie comfortable) as well.

In my third year here I'm seeing the pattern: every season out-of-towners looking for advice rant that they're too good for the local "cattle boats" as though there are plenty of options.

So, calling all locals - are there any 6-pack operators around FLL? If so, I'd like to give them some business!

I'm having a little trouble following you... You don't like cramped cattle boats and you don't like cramped 6-packs. So - are you asking for info on un-cramped 6-packs ? If so, how much would you be willing to spend for a seat ?

That's the $64,000 question.How much $ are you willing to spend to have Grey Poupon on your after dive sandwiches.I have exactly 2 trips lifetime on "cattle boats"1 was a manatee trip with the shop owner,a close friend and I knew almost all of the other divers.Same shop owner and a trip offshore.

I prefer where possible to be the captain,which means either take my boat or rent one where I'm at.If that's not possible I probly don't really wanna be there that bad.

A 6pack can range from a 25' CC boat to a 50' sportfish.The license doesn't always mean a small boat.For 4-6 friends to get a whole 6 pack is not always going to be cost prohibitive.It may even strengthen your dive networking.I vacation on the premise that several friends will be with us at some point.This allows for much better accomodations and also the ability to negotiate deals.2 or 3 couples can get a house or suite much nicer than the same amount of $ would buy in seperate hotel rooms.

Well ... How about a 39' foot dive boat with a 12 person limit!?! That is the Jupiter Op Jupiter Dive Charters.. Captain Paul runs only tweleve on his boat.

Go during the week and you will be with often only 6 divers on a 39' foot boat talk about room!

Come dive with us! See the Jupiter reef with only a dozen divers in the water.

If you are further south try Southeast Oceanic out of Hollywood. Captain Mike's boat holds 20ish but I've never seen more than 8 or 9 on board and he is very open to setting up private trips.

http://www.divefortlauderdale.com/

mrobinson:
I can understand the anxiety a vacationer goes through planning and paying for a trip, and fearing that their dives will be a bust after all that! Please don't take my post personally - it's a common enough fear that I thought we'd all like to know where the non-cattle boats were around here.

Your friend should have played the lottery! After at least 3 dozen local trips I have never had such an experience and have been with most if not all the local operators. Knowing them now, I'd be surprised if any put their divers through that.

It's easy to "find sand" here, especially when a diver misses the briefing while gearing up (done that!). To avoid this problem, focus on each task without distraction. Even frequent divers can get caught up in their gear after a few weeks dry and miss an important instruction (ie "drop down, head east to the reef and then north").

Some days are better than others, too. We have currents and visibility isn't always 80 feet lol, but the dive operator doesn't control that of course.

Maybe we occasionally get too caught up in the activity and forget to enjoy the experience. I know sometimes the day is over before I know it, especially when I'm fiddling with my camera of looking for lobster. After such an experience, I'm likely to ask myself, "Is that all there is?"

Finally, so that you know, it's a crap-shoot here. You are just as likely to hit a crowd on any local operator on a heavy weekend. None are going to turn business away within their limit. You may minimize your risk by going through Lighthouse Dive Center, which isn't an operator but books divers (no markup) on one of several boats. Explain that you'd rather not dive a crowded boat and ask for their advice. I've never been steered wrong by Lighthouse Dive.

Avoid the term "cattle boat."

http://www.lighthousedive.com/
101 N. Riverside Drive (Atlantic Blvd south of the Intracoastal)
Pompano Beach, FL 33060
(954) 788-0208

Hey Mike,
Our experiences could not be more different. I've been in south Florida for about 9 months, so I'm not really a local. I went out 4 days last week. We were on a boat that holds 20 divers. On the first day, there were 4 divers. On the second day, there were 5 divers, and on the third day, there were two (my wife and I).

The operator was great and the divemaster described the reef with an intimacy that rivals insanity!! I like that.

This operator is in south Palm Beach County.

The boat is also running 2 Scubaboard trips this Saturday, one in the morning and one at night.

Cheers,
Jamie

Divesherpa:
Hey Mike,
Our experiences could not be more different. I've been in south Florida for about 9 months, so I'm not really a local. I went out 4 days last week. We were on a boat that holds 20 divers. On the first day, there were 4 divers. On the second day, there were 5 divers, and on the third day, there were two (my wife and I).

The operator was great and the divemaster described the reef with an intimacy that rivals insanity!! I like that.

This operator is in south Palm Beach County.

Cheers,
Jamie

Why not post the name of the operation? Is it a secret? I am sure the operator won't mind the publicity and we would like to know.

Thanks for the advice everyone - you truly don't know how much more at ease it does put the vacationer. (I grew up in a very touristy town and we affectionally called them terrorists, I guess I just can't use that term anymore but that's what I would describe myself if the world wasn't do different now.) :)

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom