Loloata ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dates will you be there? I will be there for a little over a month from mid June to end of July. I'll be on the FeBrina for 2 1/2 weeks starting mid June. If you are on the 'Dancer, maybe we will cross paths.

Allison Finch:
What dates will you be there? I will be there for a little over a month from mid June to end of July. I'll be on the FeBrina for 2 1/2 weeks starting mid June. If you are on the 'Dancer, maybe we will cross paths.

We will be leaving Around the 1st. of July, the final itinerary isn't out yet. Our dates for Star Dancer are July5-12. We have a day or two at the beginning and one after the cruise at Walindi , then a day and night at Loloata. We will also spend three nights on Oahu before heading home, we should be home by the 19th or 20th.
Before I leave, once we get closer to take off time, I certainly would like to ask you a few questions about your past trips and what I can take along to be beneficial to those of the population we will come in contact with. I.E other ques. like is there a malaria drug you prefer, what about hepititus types a,b,c ?

Jerry - caymanaic

caymaniac:
Hi Lyn, welcome to the scuba board. Thanks for the response. We will be going to Loloata after Walindi and Star Dancer. We never been to PNG and really are looking forward to it.
Were you land based the whole trip? We were in the Coral Sea two years ago on a liveaboard about in the same time frame (July) and we had calm waters as well. How would you compare the diving in PNG with other places you have been?

Hi,

After two days at Loloata I flew to Aloatau to join Mike Ball's Paradise Sport for a week of diving Milne Bay. Great boat, very luxurious. The diving there is at least half muck diving, although most of these dives were near great wall, bommie or shallow reef diving. You might need to ask the divemasters where the non-muck areas are in the area (many of the DMs think people are so crazy about muck diving that they forget to mention the gorgeous reefs nearby). I discovered two such areas on my own.

The area is pristine, clear water, and because Milne Bay consists of lots of islands and bays, it's not too exposed although there are a couple of exposed bommies (reefs that come up to the surface or close in exposed areas). I think it's best to ask the company you will be diving with what the weather is like IN THE AREA during the time of year you plan to visit. This always helps me to plan my trips accordingly. It differs enormously in PNG as the winds change certain times of the year and rainfall depends upon the areas.

Walindi is exceptional for land-based diving. Walindi runs both the Sun Dancer and the Fabrina. The new hot spot that they just discovered is the south side of New Britain and they seem to be running new trips Jan. and Feb. I'm sure that will be weather dependent.

People I spoke with loved Kavieng, an area north of New Britain...lots of big fish, large schools and the accompanying currents. Lissenung Island Resort is where most people I met stayed in.

Whatever you choose to do, it will be a trip to remember. I do think planning according to the general weather patterns will help it be better. And, certain areas have vastly differing temperatures - Kimbe Bay averaged 9 degrees warmer than Milne Bay - so be sure to check that out.

The only area that came close to PNG for me was Indonesia. It was remarkable there. I spent most of my time in Bunaken, staying at Murex, a lovely resort on the mainland. The most spectacular wall diving imaginable, similar to PNG's bommies. I hope to get to Wakitobi, a Swiss-run resort on the southern part of Sulawesi. They are said to have the most spectacular house reef anywhere. There is a triangle that scientists have discovered: From the Philippines to Bali to the Solomon Islands: Inside this triangle is the origin of the coral reef. It can't get any better than that! Have fun planning PNG!

Lynthefin

Loloata is a superbly run dive outfit, one of the most professional dive centers in Asia. The diving is superb, especially at Suzie's Bommie and End Bommie. Lots of critters, grey reef sharks and Rhinopias. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom