Long Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all the information. To date, my diving has been limited to my local area so my experience with different setups is also limited. Until I started reading posts on SB I never heard of DIR or the term bp/w. I've since Googled both. DIR concepts make fascinating reading btw. Much to think about.

@robertarak - I couldn't agree more that one should get proper training before using unfamiliar equipment or techniques so I can honestly say that I have no intention of running out and buying a long hose.

@kathydee - I saw the positioning of the back-up on the video link TSandM provided. I think the entire setup (primary & back-up) is much more efficient than the PADI method I was trained on.

Needless to say, I have a lot to learn about what's available to me. As my skills and experiences grow I'll be better prepared to make informed choices about what's best for me.

Thanks again everyone!

Hose routing - With colored hoses and everything to avoid the whole black on black photo problems.

Great link. Thanks for posting it.

Henrik

I love my bungied backup -- it has saved my butt more than once, since I have a tendency to fall down getting in and out of the water, especially in that nasty Southern California water that MOVES (shudder . . . ).

To the OP -- if the concept intrigues you, you can always begin with a 5' hose (unless you are a very barrel-chested person). This routes under the arm, across the front of the chest, around the back of the neck and to your mouth. It's a setup less likely to end up with hose caught on the rail of a boat, or entangled in something, than a 7' hose tucked into a waistband. It also works with a traditional BC, where it can be a little more difficult to stow the extra if you have a lot of real estate used up with BC on the sides and front of you. I don't think you have to have specific training from anybody to use a 5' hose -- I have helped beginner friends move into that configuration, and they've had no issues.

I love my bungied backup -- it has saved my butt more than once, since I have a tendency to fall down getting in and out of the water, especially in that nasty Southern California water that MOVES (shudder . . . ).

To the OP -- if the concept intrigues you, you can always begin with a 5' hose (unless you are a very barrel-chested person). This routes under the arm, across the front of the chest, around the back of the neck and to your mouth. It's a setup less likely to end up with hose caught on the rail of a boat, or entangled in something, than a 7' hose tucked into a waistband. It also works with a traditional BC, where it can be a little more difficult to stow the extra if you have a lot of real estate used up with BC on the sides and front of you. I don't think you have to have specific training from anybody to use a 5' hose -- I have helped beginner friends move into that configuration, and they've had no issues.

I'd love to try the 5' hose if that's the case.

I'm currently using a Black Diamond BCD and use an Aqualung Micra primary & backup. My backup is yellow (standard PADI recommended color I believe). Would you recommend putting the primary on the 5' hose and switching to my "yellow" backup if I had to donate? Keep in mind that most people I know have been trained to grab the yellow octo if OOA. What is the standard hose length for the backup - 2 feet? What size bungie do you typically use? I would also assume that since I'm using a yoke connection that the long hose would be connected to the lowest port? Wow, the questions just keep piling up...

After rereading what I just wrote, I'm thinking it may be wise to wait until I purchase new regs later this spring and get two similar regs for both my primary and backup. Geez, there's a lot to consider.

Any thoughts?

tstocum,

I'm a fairly new open-water diver, and I switched to a 5' hose/bungied backup last summer. What I did was simply swap the faceplates on my two regulators, so that the primary (in my mouth) is yellow, and the backup (on my neck) is black. This reinforces that people should take the primary (in addition, I have also discussed it with buddy and we have practiced).

The reason I switched faceplates is that I wanted to keep the same second stage as my primary (has an additional adjustment knob). Otherwise I could have just switched the entire second stage(s) so that the original yellow one ended up in my mouth. You would have both second stages off when putting on the new hoses anyway.

I have a 22" backup hose. It is fine to maybe slightly long for me, but I'm fairly small in that area. I would guess 24" if you are larger (?), but maybe 22".

I have 3/16" surgical tubing holding my backup regulator, although I may switch to 3/16" bungie (shock cord) instead. I bought a length of both at the same time so I could try them out.

I did not find it difficult to switch, and with using regular rubber hoses it does not cost much to try it out. I found it to be an improvement for me.

Blue Sparkle

PS: Oops, sorry, I just realized that this is the DIR forum, and I am not DIR trained. I don't think I have said anything that runs counter to DIR, but if I have, my apologies, and please correct me.

Blue Sparkle - unfortunately my backup is completely yellow so your suggestion won't work with my current setup. But, I'm looking into a new setup which I intend to purchase this spring so I should be able do as you suggest then. Thanks for the input.

tstocum, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your backup reg is slung under your chin, and if you are horizontal, it isn't easy to see. Anyone coming to you for gas is much more likely to notice the nice, juicy regulator sitting in your mouth :) IIRC, my backup reg on my singles setup has a yellow faceplate. I just don't worry about it.

A simple way to start with the setup is to get a 5' hose and put that on your primary regulator, and put your backup on the hose your primary is now using (which is probably 24"). It may be a bit long, and at some point, you may want to replace it. But for a beginning, that will do.

HERE is a video on how to tie a regulator necklace. Another option is to use heavier bungie, and put a knot in each end of a length. You can then zip-tie the bungie to your regulator mouthpiece. I prefer the tied necklace, because if it is pulled on hard enough, it will come off, whereas the bungie is unlikely to, and may result in some very painful blows to the face (or in the worst case, loss of the regulator mouthpiece).

TSandM, once again thanks for the input and advice. I'll do as you suggest and not worry about the color and make sure that I inform my buddy that I will donate my primary regulator. One final question if you don't mind answering another one. I think I'd like the necklace better than zip tying the bungie to my regulator mouthpiece. Is there a preferred type of material and thickness for the tied necklace? I guess that's actually two questions...

I'm sure these are very basic questions, and I appreciate you're and everyone else's willingness to educate me.

Blue Sparkle - unfortunately my backup is completely yellow so your suggestion won't work with my current setup. But, I'm looking into a new setup which I intend to purchase this spring so I should be able do as you suggest then. Thanks for the input.

My backup is yellow as well. To demonstrate what Lynne said, if you were to get gas from this diver, where would you go:

Saskatchewan%2012-30-06%20%2883%29%20Bjorn%20%28Large%29.jpg

The reg in the mouth is the obvious one IMO. Though I've been meaning to get rid of the yellow cover ... for about 5 years :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom