Long Time Member 1st Time Poster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtslush

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I joined scubaboard back in 2013. Never posted, haven't really dove that much. My wife is working on getting certified, so I am hoping to learn a lot here so that the 2 of us can dive together. I've had reservations on taking a dive trip alone, I always felt it was rude to leave my wife on shore while I dove. How do y'all feel about having a dive hobby without your spouse?

For me, unfortunately, it is a necessity -- my wife has some health issues that (at least so far) have prevented her from diving. If you can get your wife certified, that would be great. But if not it is still certainly fair for you to have your hobby and her have her interests. For me, that usually means I do morning dives while on vacation, and she either sleeps in a bit, lounges at the beach, or does other activities (like spa treatments, etc.). While we don't track every penny, I try to keep in mind that scuba is an expensive hobby, and it's only fair that she have approximately similar funds for her activities.

My wife is working on getting certified, so I am hoping to learn a lot here so that the 2 of us can dive together.
I was a diver before I met my wife, but it was only after we got married that diving became a major part of our lives. We each have our own hobbies or other interests, but diving is something we can do together. I hope it works out for you two. Even if it doesn't, you should be able to enjoy a dive trip by yourself now and then. There are a number of SB'ers who seem to do that without their spouse's objection.

How do y'all feel about having a dive hobby without your spouse?
No problem. I've done multiple solo trips. She's off on a topside trip with an old high school buddy right now, where I think they sit on a hotel balcony on an upper floor, look at the ocean, yak at each other and occasionally go piddle around a shop somewhere.

It's not unusual to hear stories where hubby is an avid deer hunter or operates a personal plane. Many women do a lot of shopping alone. And of course some people break the stereotypes or do 'gender neutral' hobbies without their spouse.

It's nice if you share a passion together, but that doesn't have to be every passion either of you are allowed to have.

I ask what the difference is perceived to be with recreational diving. I suspect it's either the money, or the idea the diving spouse is jetting off to 'the tropics,' or maybe that you're not sharing the 'fun' with her.

The cost of diving is a serious issue for many of us (but there are a number of recreational hobbies like that). As for 'the tropics,' I've been on multiple tropical dive trips and I have yet to see the cast of the old Baywatch series (or similar) jogging up and down the beach, or something along the lines of 'Muscle Beach,' etc... No sexy hottie eye candy extravaganzas.

As for 'fun,' well, if you happen to be a stereotypical guy and your wife at all stereotypically 'girly,' have you ever been drug along on one of her shopping trips to Kohl's or similar? My point is that just because an activity is fun for one person does not mean it's fun for another.

I've had reservations on taking a dive trip alone, I always felt it was rude to leave my wife on shore while I dove.
It's possible to entertain oneself topside at many destinations. Some people pick dive destinations with that in mind.

Neither of my partners dive, but one of them comes swimming / snorkeling with me while I dive. I am hoping to sloooooly push her towards getting certified at some point when she is a little more financially stable and can afford it. Until then, it's nice to have someone who can hand me stuff and knows where to look for my body.

My wife can't dive (claustraphobia-- not fear of underwater, but of being restricted in a wetsuit). I've gone on one week long tropical dive trip by myself. There would have been nothing for her to do other than sit on the beach and swim. I shore dive alone at home and text her when I'm safely out of the water. She plays poker once weekly while I stay home (usually wins...). No problems here.

My wife knows me well enough to know I need to dive to keep from going crazy. She supports me 100%. Hoping once my son is old enough we can all dive together. Until then Im doing solo trips around the world.

I guess it really depends on your 'understanding' with your wife. We see lots of people go diving without their spouses, both male and female. I guess it's OK in a resort-style dive shop. Perhaps, you would need to do something extra special to head off on a liveaboard for 10 days................

Welcome!

My wife doesn't dive and I don't ride horses. She will go riding while I dive, wherever possible.
If there's no riding and the water is warm, she'll snorkel while I dive. We did that in Barbados and Cano Island, Costa Rica.

No way am I going to involve them in diving I wouldn't cope if they were injured

Back
Top Bottom