Longer Bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at that tip, and there is no way in hell I could load my 4Xs like that.

I can :D.

I am 5'6" tall and can barley reach the bands now.

I don't ever have to "reach" the bands on any gun, neither does my 4'9'' 105 lb. wife.

My 4Xs Is a one shot one kill gun.

That's the idea.

I have great upper body strength and it's not my arms or chest hurting it's my back muscles after a day of hunting.Maybe I use different mucles the way I load my guns.

Yup, I'm glad my back never hurts :D.

My 4Xs has 3- 5/8" X 26" bands and a 65" 3/8" shaft with an icepick tip.That gun will blow thru anything in it's path no problem.

With a 3/8'' shaft I prefer a much thicker stock, I like my guns to be balanced properly.

Chris :crafty:

I looked at that tip, and there is no way in hell I could load my 4Xs like that. I am 5'6" tall and can barley reach the bands now.I hip load with no problem except a long stretch. I don't use the rest tab, better to just load in one fast motion.My 4Xs Is a one shot one kill gun. The 3Xs is an easy gun to load I can string up fish quite easy.I have great upper body strength and it's not my arms or chest hurting it's my back mucles after a day of hunting.Maybe I use different mucles the way I load my guns.My 4Xs has 3- 5/8" X 26" bands and a 65" 3/8" shaft with an icepick tip.That gun will blow thru anything in it's path no problem.

I think it's your body type or something because I agree with what you're saying. I have a bowflex and since seeing this thread, went home and simulated the chest and hip loading movements. I definitley have more power pulling down to my hip, which isn't really that far from my chest when curled over and locking the band to the spear. but when I sit up and pull, overhanded, as in the link, I can't pull as much weight on the machine as I can pulling down to my hip with palms up, like I load my guns. But that's me.
Both these movements are considered back exercises in the machine instructions, which is probably why your back is tired. the chest pull is more upper back. Curling your abdomen also used back muscles, which is why situps can really cure lower back problems.

I bet a guy that weighs nearly 100#s more than me of pure muscle and a few inches that he couldn't load my Wong and I could. He played college football at Alabama. I knew he would try to hip load it. He even managed to get the first band cocked but the last two fin tabs are so far back on my midhandle that no-one has the muscle power due to the design of the human body for the motion that close to your hip, Where as your biceps and back maintain full power through out the motion of chest loading. Hip loading gives you alot of power at first but not past a certain point, as you get your hands closer to your hip. He freaked out when I was able to load the gun FYI.

You reach the bands by grabbing them before you place the gun on your chest so they start to stretch while you are positioning the gun and then you put your second hand on and pull the band all the way to the fin tab or notch. It takes a few tries to get it down and you'll definitely want to have a padded wetsuit on when you try it.

Last edited:
Smith, there are several options as can be seen. Using the one hand to maneuver the gun, start the pull with the other. Raise the butt high on the chest and place both hands on the band.

To down power the gun just substitute Biller black coated amber rubber of the same size. This will be much easier to pull than Riffe rubber but 3 bands of the softer Biller type will still pack a wallop.

In today's market it is easier to find bulk gorilla rubber than the softer stuff. However, it can be had. Learn to make up your own bands. There are several threads which treat this subject on Spearboard.

I bet a guy that weighs nearly 100#s more than me of pure muscle and a few inches that he couldn't load my Wong and I could. He played college football at Alabama. I knew he would try to hip load it. He even managed to get the first band cocked but the last two fin tabs are so far back on my midhandle that no-one has the muscle power due to the design of the human body for the motion that close to your hip, Where as your biceps and back maintain full power through out the motion of chest loading. Hip loading gives you alot of power at first but not past a certain point, as you get your hands closer to your hip. He freaked out when I was able to load the gun FYI.

ahhh, I understand what you mean. Once you pull down and your upper arm is parallel to your spine, you can't pull down anymore and you're actually trying to PUSH down with your triceps, which have very little power compared to your back/bicep combination.
I used a gun like that last year in the Philippines where the spear notch was very near the end of the gun and had that problem. I get it now. Thanks. I've never shot a Wong.
The notch on my Riffes is farther up the gun and I can reach it pretty easily pulling down to my hip bone in one fast motion. Even the Baja Plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom