Longer BC corrugated hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What problem do you have using your current hoses? Are you using an octo/inflator or a standard inflator?

I have a Hollis S38 wing and backplate. The hose is just to short, when it isnt falling behind my back it sit around my snorkel mouthpiece. Everytime i go to reach for it i either cant find it, end up grabbing my snorkel or have trouble working it since its so close to my shoulder(they arent very flexable) I really want to have it up and in front of me more so i can see it and maybe hook it to my harness so i can find it easier.

I have a Hollis S38 wing and backplate. The hose is just to short, when it isnt falling behind my back it sit around my snorkel mouthpiece. Everytime i go to reach for it i either cant find it, end up grabbing my snorkel or have trouble working it since its so close to my shoulder(they arent very flexable) I really want to have it up and in front of me more so i can see it and maybe hook it to my harness so i can find it easier.

Mine sits in about the same place. But we do a few things differently. I use a piece of double sided velcro tape on my shoulder strap just above the collar bone to keep the hoses in place. And then I don't wear a snorkel. I also have a short bungee loop attached to my left shoulder D-ring that I run the LP hose (not the corrugated hose) through so I know where the inflator is. I am fairly old, a little arthritic, and with shoulder problems but I can still reach and operate the inflator with either hand. I suggest you give your new rig a little time to get used to it. If the hoses were any longer, the inflator would start to compete with space with my slung pony. It take almost my full range of motion to operate (inflate) the inflator manually and it is a real project to re-connect the inflator UW but if I practice often, it is not too difficult.

So I think your conformation would have to be very extreme to make it not be a solvable problem.

LOL i do have extreme conformation. My shoulders and chest are 5xl and everything else is 2xl.

Ok so i got to the quarry and tested out all my new gear. The BP/W works great and i already like i MUCH better than those weird jackets. The biggest problem i had today was the length of the inflator and i dont mean just the low pressure line but also the corrugated hose. I looked at the replacement hoses online and the longest one i can find is 22". I have NOT gotten a chance to measure the current hose but i estimated that an hose 10" longer would be perfect. Any ideas/suggestions? What are my options if i need a hose longer than the standard sizes listed online?

I thought the same thing and replaced the two hose. I am now switching them back to the short hoses. When it is too long it tends to drag when close to the bottom, gets in the way of my pony, and because of the length it can be difficult to dump air because now the hose needs to be held much higher above the wing/bladder elbow. That is unless you are using a pull dump on your hose.

...//...maybe hook it to my harness so i can find it easier.

Yes, you want to tie that puppy down!

See pic for how I rigged my new harness and wing, (same as my old ones). Notice that there are two ties to the harness. The inner tube strap keeps the corrugated hose fixed at my shoulder and the surgical tubing allows me to pull it up to dump and it returns nicely on its own.

That is a 16" hose (IIRC) and it is considered, by some, to be overly long.

My DSS singles wing came with a 13in corrugated hose and a 18in inflation LP hose. I dove it a couple of times and I switched the corrugated hose to a OMS 18in hose. It was getting in the way of the shoulder D-ring. It defeated the purpose of getting a BP to clean up the clutter. I have did about 30 dives with the longer hoses and just switched them back a few weeks ago to the shorter hoses. It is now much easier to dump and solved other problems.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

My hog #32 came with a 12inch hose & I hated it for the same reason but was able to return it & upgrade to the newest 2012 version which came with a 16inch hose.
I like to keep my arms tucked in low when I dive & just seems easier to remain in contact with the inflator to make quick minor adjustments along the dive as the senario changes & remain tight, for me it seems way easier & comfortable using a 16 over the 12...
But then again I never gave the 12 a chance in the water, I was confident that it wasnt for me!

Back
Top Bottom