Looking for 33" filter tower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets disregard purchasing Bauer products as they dwell in the realm of ridiculously priced items mainly supported by large entities lacking a brain and any semblance of intelligence such as government departments with large budgets intent on squandering our tax dollars with a clear conscience.

Why disregard Bauer? They sold 30,000 Bauer Junior compressors in the sports diving market, if they are so overpriced why we all still buy them.

As for this large budget squandering of tax dollars where you think that Noah Howden came from your using?

Your " oh so subtle " subliminal implication that these filter towers are cheap fall on deaf ears/ eyes to us as consumers. The simple reality is that scuba divers compare these filter towers with another well known pressure vessel of similar size known as a scuba tank and when the price of the tower is 3 to 4 times that of the tank, the perception is that of extremely bad value and to be avoided like a carcass that's been left in the sun for a couple of days.

Maybe these "consumers" should try diving with one.
Perhaps then they would know the difference between a filter shell and a scuba tank, even if a tad subtle.

If you need proof, look at the completed listings on ebay for new filter towers..........not a single sale for aeons. If I were a reseller I would be having a long talk to my supplier/ manufacturer if my margins were already low.

Proof of what?

In my old scuba club which I left 2 years ago but still have contact with, there were at least 20 compressors, many of which were pumping stick nitrox with nothing more than an inadequate PO filter or equivalent. No prizes for guessing why!

Is this an Australian version of a "self help group" or help yourself? More pumps than members Dude.

I'm in the market for at least 3 x P1 triplex or 16" towers but if I can't get them each for the price of a new scuba tank, I'll wait for a "bargain" to materialize on ebay like everyone else does.

You want 3 filters your a retail customer, you go to a retail seller, Jim as other on this forum is ideal.

You want thirty (30) of the 33 inch or a crate of thirty of the Bauer P-60 filters next day from stock sent to you in a wooden crate. You talk to me and we discuss how many crates you want from stock sending.

Then we discuss that SCUBA cylinder price of yours and that scuba tank quote and if the price your after is with or without the pillar valve attached. Your call.

I currently use a PO filter off my Mariner1 on my Noah Howden portable as it pumps around the same volume at half the weight and size.

That's cos that Noah Howden is running twice as fast, and three times as hard.

Jim Shelden made another sale.......funny that!!!!:D

Jim does a great job, (better now than selling those old hydraulic accumulators eh Jim?)
As do all of the compressor guys on this section of the forum, and for the most part its good advise free.
From established experienced and professional hands.

Iain, I couldn't help but notice that while you were dreaming,

Failing that there is always E-bay I guess......... Dream on. :) Iain

Why disregard Bauer? They sold 30,000 Bauer Junior compressors in the sports diving market, if they are so overpriced why we all still buy them.

As for this large budget squandering of tax dollars where you think that Noah Howden came from your using?

The large Bauers have an esoteric target group with parts prices to match and dictate what the others charge to undercut them.
We buy Juniors because they are the most reliable of the mainstream smaller compressors available on the market but does not mean they are superior from an engineering point of view. The cheaper alternatives have more intrinsic weakneses that will bite you if you are unaware of them......there' been quite a few threads on here about this.

The Kidde/ Howden/ Meggitt range of compressors as you know are a mil spec compressor used for ordnance deployment and guidance systems and when used for non military purposes, make for an excellent balanced, blueprinted and dry sumped racing......er .....pumping machine. I would even go so far as to say that if Meggitt (latest metamorphosis) compressors marketed them for civillian use, they would give Bauers a very hard time. Pescador wrote an excellent article about them a few years ago on Scubaboard.

Maybe these "consumers" should try diving with one.
Perhaps then they would know the difference between a filter shell and a scuba tank, even if a tad subtle.

Exactly my point, the 33" tower only has a capacity of 2.85 litres and even less with a cartridge installed. The Bauer tower and its clones have 2 threaded end caps/ plugs sporting a few holes, o rings and backup rings and the MDE looks similar to a scuba tank sans pillar valve and a cut off base that has been capped.........so are you telling me that hard anodising is very expensive?

Proof of what?

If you have to ask, you've missed the point and should read it again. :wink:

Is this an Australian version of a "self help group" or help yourself? More pumps than members Dude.

The club has around 200 of the most active divers that I know of in OZ. Their compressors are mainly Juniors all privately owned between 2 or 3 members per unit and everyone repacks their filters because the retail ones are so cheap just like your towers.

That's cos that Noah Howden is running twice as fast, and three times as hard.

I'm shocked to hear you say that, the Howden runs at 3600 rpm because it can, whereas the 2300rpm Junior would be rendered a second grade boat anchor at that speed. Since when does a 4 stage compressor run three times as hard as a 3 stage compressor??????

Jim does a great job, (better now than selling those old hydraulic accumulators eh Jim?)
As do all of the compressor guys on this section of the forum, and for the most part its good advise free.
From established experienced and professional hands.

Jim does an excellent job, aptly demonstrated by getting a sale from Opie712 while you were still dreamin' about your cheap filter towers.
Thanks for mentioning the accumulators, I guess you could see I was struggling.
Why do you think Jim converted these to filter units........was it because your filter towers were so cheap?

Failing that there is always E-bay I guess......... Dream on. :) Iain

There are lots more avenues. :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom