Looking for a dive buddy in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 22 years old and have been diving off and on for about 3 years now. I have never had a regular dive buddy and as such I have not done nearly as much diving as I would like to. So right now I am looking for people to dive with. While my ultimate goal is to find a regular dive budy my main concern at the moment is just finding a way to get wet, so if you want to go diving please let me know!

I have tried going diving with various clubs and dive shops but for the most part have found it less than ideal. Even on the rare occasion that the divers without buddys try to buddy up it almost always seems to end up as a group dive. While I know it is not really a huge issue with recreational diving at shallow depths there is something very unsettling about telling someone you barely know that you need to ascend and then having them try to talk you out of it because they want to dive longer...

Right now I have not been diving in almost a year and my air consumption REALLY sucks. When I first started diving it was bad, during the period of time that I dove the most it got much much better, but then I didn't dive for a while and the last time I went diving it was horrible again. I should be able to get it back to a decent rate again but it will most likely take a few dives.

I am currently looking at purchasing a backplate/wing setup as I don't yet own my own BC. I rented one for a dive trip to Akumal, Mexico a few years ago and I fell in love with them.

So enough about me, who wants to go diving?

~Jess (oh, and I am a guy, so don't get any sick perverted ideas just because Jess is sometimes a girls name)

There are normally fellow swampers looking to get wet.

As far as a regular buddy goes, what kind of schedule do you have and where in town are you located? When would your ideal time to dive be (after work hours during the week/weekends only)?

I am going to make a serious attempt to dive this weekend at Windy Point.

Welcome to the swamp Jess. You should be able to hook up with some folks on this forum. You're also welcome to attend the swamper get together at Johnny Finns this Saturday. It'll be a good time to meet some folks and get to know some potential dive buddies.

You will meet more buddies here than you will be able to dive with. Let us know your schedule. I have been busy with work and haven't been wet in a month. Starting to get the DTs. Dive tremens.

Thanks for all of the responses!

To answer Cuda's questions, I will be taking classes at UT this semester but my schedule is actually very varied and open so I should have time to dive some weekday mornings, afternoons and evenings, plus most weekends. When I am not going to school I work in the film industry which normally involves stretches of time with very little free time and non standard weekends (12+ hour work days and often 6 day weeks with 1 day "weekends" that fall on weekdays) followed by stretches of totally free unscheduled time.

I was hoping to make it out to the lake this weekend but other things came up. I start a job on a film on wednesday but I should have a two day weekend the following tuesday and wednesday(22nd + 23rd). Does anyone want to go diving then? Afternoon/evening on the 22nd and/or morning/early afternoon on the 23rd would most likely be best for me. Hopefully my regs will be back from getting serviced by then and some of the new gear I just ordered will be in.

~Jess

Well, if you are going to UT, a good way to get some dive time in is to join the University SCUBA Club, or at least the list serve. We usually have people going out at least two or three times a week. If you have ANY questions, shoot me an email.

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom