Looking for a DPV for about $1500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you would ever want to be strapped by your crotch. Not a very good safteything to do. I guess I don't really know the other models.

The scooter pulls by the entire harness, via the crotch strap d- ring, it is not that bad. If it was that uncomfortable, it would not be as popular as it is. How is it not safe? The tow rope can be cut easily & I carry 3 cutting devices. In the case of a runaway scooter, the prop (plastic) can be easily disabled, though it can cause damage to the scooter's drive system. Here is a video of how a tow behind scooter works. scooter01 - YouTube . My H-160 is so well balanced that I can easily steer it with the wrist only (& I have weak wrists).

Not sure why you would ever want to be strapped by your crotch.

If you ever need to pull a double set with several stages and tow a diver with another DPV it's not going to be happening if you hold on to the scooter with bare hands :) Especially on long runs...

The scooter pulls the harness that has everything attached to it, you use your hand or even a finger to just control the device... You can go for hours like this and not getting tired, especially with long bodies that are very stable. Although if the boys get in a wrong position it might get uncomfortable :) But you can just move the strap to the side a bit.

I guess for rec fun when you dive single tank and do not tow a lot holding on to the handles works fine. I was free diving in the pool using just handles and it was not tiring much.

We mostly use the saddle. In caves and wrecks we use the scooter in front. Doubles and towing more divers is easier with the saddle as is hunting lionfish, photos and video. The saddle has two handles for extra divers to hang on so it stays balanced. On the few occasions when a scooter ran away, if there is enough air just ride the battery out, and if not, stick the nose against something (bottom, side of the boat) and try to sort it out. If that doesn't work take it to the surface and the prop sucks air and stops pushing. You can then pull it out of the water and open the case without damage. Easier in the Tropics
03.gif

Adrian

I have been lucky enough to go on the scooters with scubahawk27 and his wife on my last 3 trips to Maui. Just got back this week and miss it already. Those scooters are a blast, and as soon as I move there I will have one or maybe sooner. Go take a ride on them with him and you will have a blast. Great people to dive with.

Steve Eady

Last edited:
Scooter Diver.jpg

Ok just to clear things up. If I had a choice and I do, I would just ride it like this. I don't tow anything but I do take video. Both of my hands are free for what ever comes up. I can turn on a dime and even do loops. (My water-batics are still in training) I guess I would look at the other more expensive options if I got into tech diving. I don't think I am going that direction. Thanks Steve for the photo. I am often taking to the photos so I don't get many photos of me.

---------- Post Merged at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:44 PM ----------

The scooter pulls by the entire harness, via the crotch strap d- ring, it is not that bad. If it was that uncomfortable, it would not be as popular as it is. How is it not safe? The tow rope can be cut easily & I carry 3 cutting devices. In the case of a runaway scooter, the prop (plastic) can be easily disabled, though it can cause damage to the scooter's drive system. Here is a video of how a tow behind scooter works. scooter01 - YouTube . My H-160 is so well balanced that I can easily steer it with the wrist only (& I have weak wrists).

Cool Video Tammy, I Like the music. Still don't like holding on even with a rope. I can see it does have 60 lbs vs 40 lbs of thrust but I am mostly a rec diver mostly. I do weigh 220 lbs and cruise very quickly on my scooters.

The major limitations with the Mako are:

1) the 180' depth limit on the hull, and indirectly, the fairly fragile construction of the o-ring grooves in the nose cone/mid body and mid body/motor compartment junctions, and

2) the generally poor (tail low) trim attitude.

The 180' depth limit is also optimistic as they have a bad habit of imploding at about 130-140' with the stock nose plate. DPV repair sells a 3/4" lexan nose plate and I highly recommend it. With that plate, I'd consider 180' realistic and 200' do-able.

But, they are still a great introductory scooter and sell for a lot less than any other tech capable scooter out there.

Batteries are all over the map on the Makos. I prefer a pair of 12v Powersonic PSH-12180FR wired in series - about $60 each on line) but they are heavier and will require a neoprene sleeve (from DPV repair) to achieve neutral buoyancy in fresh water. They are the high current version of the 18 Ah Powersonic and seem to work better with higher RPM motors. The neoprene sleeve is a good idea anyway as it protects the o-ring grooves.

On our last cave trip we averaged 35-40 minutes of trigger time per dive, with 2 dives per charge, with the prop set on pitch 6 or 7 and the data loggers showed no more than 12,000 mAh used on any dive day. Target cruise speed in the caves was 150 fpm (in side mounted doubles and at times a stage) and the time/speed/distance calculations along marks lines was very close to the 150 fpm target.

Consequently, I like the batteries we use due to the burn time and available reserve, but with lighter batteries, in salt water and with the sleeve, you'll need 4-6 pounds of ballast in the nose cone and if you put it all the way forward, you can get the scooter to trim nearly level. In fresh water you can come close, but won't be able to carry quite enough ballast to make it happen. The batteries are also fairly easy to change, and being inexpensive ($120 per set) you can swap them out between dives and get either an 80-90 minute run time at reasonable speeds, or run them at pitch 9 and get 50-55 minutes of burn time. (I would not run them above that pitch on non stopped hubs as it causes the motor to overheat on runs over about 30 minutes.

Mako motors are also all over the board in terms of performance. The stock motors seem to vary from 600 to 750 RPM and the newer scooters/motors seem to be slower. Some have also been modified with 1000 rpm motors along the lines of what is used in SS and Gavin scooters. And with that mod, they offer similar speed.

Based on our experience, a 1000 rpm Mako with 12 ga wiring, 21 Ah batteries, 50 amp Anderson connectors and a prop hub without a pitch stop (allowing what amounts to an "11" pitch on a otherwise 1-9 pitch hub) will give about 200 fpm for a diver in doubles. A stock Mako with anemic 600-650 ish motor, 14 ga wiring, stock connectors and a stock prop hub will produce maybe 140 fpm on pitch 9. As noted above we get 150 fpm with pitch settings of 6 or 7 on our 1000 rpm Makos.

The bad news is that it is not economically sound to buy a used mako and then rewind the motor, replace the batteries, connectors, nose plate, rewind the motor, etc, as by the time you do all that, you could have bought a UV 18 or UV 26 for not much more money and have similar performance with more depth capability, better trim and no fragile o-ring groove issues. But if you already own one, it's something to consider.

The good news is that a modified Mako along those lines won't sell for much more than a stock Mako. So for $200-$300 more, you can get a Mako that will offer noticeably better performance.

Took a new Bladefish 5000 out a couple of weekends ago. Purposely towing a rather large diver hanging on to my fins for the whole time. Full speed running time of 40-45 minutes with a double load. It performed even better than I expected. Two hand operation so if you want a one hand operated scooter this one is not for you. It does have three speeds for which I only gave a modest test. I may well try it again tomorrow on our boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom