looking for a hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Have a question about hoods. I dive in a dry suit almost all year and have been using a 7mm Tittanium hood. I saw some other guys diving that day and they were using what look like a skull cap with a latex hood. Is this concidered a dry hood? Is there such a thing as a dry hood? Some times the brain freeze gets so bad. Any insight would be appreciated.

but for the most part, a drysuit hood is just considered a neoprene hood that doesn't have a bib. The concern over truly "dry" hoods is that you need a way to equalize air pressures.

What you're describing is an attached latex hood with a Thinsulate beanie underneath.
For many folks, it is a dry hood, and equalizing for the ears (if needed) is as easy as giving a snort through the mask, adding a little air past the temple area or giving the neck seal a little tug & allowing some air from the suit to slip into the hood.
I never had to do either, somehow my hood always equalized without any help.
My chin would get wet but the rest of the head stayed dry.
Having a beard will allow a little water in the area.

I could never appreaciate using a drysuit & diving with a wet head.
Brrrrrrr

Adding an attached neoprene dry hood to your suit is an option you might want to consider.

Back
Top Bottom