Looking for an entry level digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Coolpix 2100 for my daughter's trip to Israel and I was very impressed with it. Spent less than $100 delivered.

I may just get one for myself, or perhaps a 3100, and buy a housing. It would be the first time in 35 years I brought a camera with me underwater.

Since you're familiar with Sony Cybershot maybe upgrade to one with more mega pixels and with a housing that Sony offers. I've seen P&S by Canon and Olympus (7070) with housings made for them. Forget about zooming under water. You get black unless you have a very high powered strobe. I've been shooting UW for close to 10 years starting with a Nikonons V. I started shooting digital two years ago with a Coolpix 5000 in a Light and Motion Housing and color correction filter. The results are great. Good luck and have fun!

parrotfisch:
Forget about zooming under water. You get black unless you have a very high powered strobe.

Hmm, can you expand on this? I have been using the zoom with internal flash only on various Canon A series models and this is a non-issue...I have never gotten a black photo due to using the zoom. i think perhaps, there was a different thing happening.

If your looking for something in the 3 meg-pix range the Sea & Sea DX3000G might be the way to go, S&S just came out with the DX8000G (8Megpix) so the 3000's should be coming down in price.

The pics in my gallery taken in Cozumel before 2005 are all taken with the DX3000G, the 2005 pics were taken with the DX5000G

Uncle Pug:
Pentax Optio s50 with Pentax housing: IMGP1235.jpg

Fuji F10 with Fuji housing: Wooden-Match-Nudibranch.jpg
Did you use an external flash with either of these shots? Built in flash? Filter? How deep?

Thanks,

Willie

Both shot with internal flash only, no filter and cropped.

The first one was in ~40' of water iirc and I used PS to lighten it up a tad to show the kelp leaf. The second one was in ~90' of water and is just as it came from the camera.

This is the picture from the optio without light adjustment:
nudi-on-kelp.jpg
[/img]

alcina:
I wouldn't go with a Sealife as there is no way I use it on land!

I find the auto-modes on the SeaLife's camera(basically a Vivitar) work pretty well on land. I would say as good as a lower model Oly, Canon, ect.

morison_springs_10_03_04_002.sized.jpg

Taken from the Vivitar camera used in a SeaLife DC310. I think its up to par with other similarly classed models.

The reason I wouldn't get the SeaLife is because of the lack of manual controls which help me get better UW pics. Since this guy is looking for a straight-up point-n-shoot capable of saving memories, not necessarily take prize photos, I dont' see why the SeaLife isn't a viable option.

mike_s:
I've got the DC310 and have been extremely happy with it. All of the underwater pics in my gallery (click near my name on left) were taken with it. So you can see some "real pics" taken with it. BTW... none of those pics are the ones I cleaned up
with Photoshop. You can make them look great once you photoshop them.

The DC310 is the "same camera" as the DC300 but just has more buttons on it (or the housing). But it should take the same pics.

It takes great pics and for the purpose of what I wanted it for, which was simply
to make snapshots of my dive, works great. I think it's 3.3mega pixel, (but can't remmeber for sure).

I'm not sure that Reefmaster is still making the DC300/DC310 any more.
I think they have now migrated only to the production of the DC500.
But I'm sure you can still pick it up in some stores, but compare those
"older model" prices first to the DC500 prices at Phil's shop. You can
most likely get a newer/fancier DC500 for just a few bucks more.

The advantages of the DC500, from what I can tell are, it's 5 megapixel, has a much larger LCD screen. has easier to use buttons, comes with a rechargeable battery, has a zoon lens, quicker shutter lag, and has "shark mode" which will allow you to snap multiple shots.

hope that helps.

-Mike

Mike,
Did you use an external flash or a macro lense on any of those?

Thanks,
David :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom