Looking for best AI in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jill Kagley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're heading to Cozumel for first visit in November. My husband doesn't dive so looking for the best AI to keep him happy while my son and I dive. Nice grounds, pool and beach access. These are some of the places recommended... Iberostar, Cozumel Palace, Occidental Grand, Presidente InterContinental. Has anyone been down lately and could help out. Thanks very much!

My order from first place to last place is The Palace, it is the best AI on the island. The Iberostar & Grand are too close to decide between for # 2 & I always recommend the decision be based on price, picking the cheaper of them unless it's within about 10% then I personally prefer the Iberostar.
The Presidente is NOT All Inclusive & I think it costs about the same as the Palace but you'll still need to eat which adds up if you do it there, or you'll have to taxi / rent a car to get to town to eat.

I have large on line albums of grounds at the Palace, Grand & Iberostar, plus a few others here. (you'll need to look for them but they are there among the others.)

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

We're heading to Cozumel for first visit in November. My husband doesn't dive so looking for the best AI to keep him happy while my son and I dive. Nice grounds, pool and beach access. These are some of the places recommended... Iberostar, Cozumel Palace, Occidental Grand, Presidente InterContinental. Has anyone been down lately and could help out. Thanks very much!
Palace is the best! It is also in town so walking to everything is easy. No beach it just has a terrace with pool and ladders into the salty BIG POOL.

Iberostar and Grand are next, both have beaches but are way south and you need a car or taxi to go anywhere.

Next are Wyndham Reef Club, has beach, not as nice as I or G but very acceptable. I'll be there Nov. 7-13.
Fiesta Americana and Hotel Cozumel have AI or a modified version or just the room. FA is on the water with small beach and must taxi everywhere while HC is close enough to town to walk and has a beach smaller than my back yard but big pool.

If price is no object Palace is best. For just nice grounds, beach, and pool for good price Wyndham, Fiesta, Hotel Cozumel.

Check many web sites as there are deals out there right now for other than Thanksgiving week. I just got back wed. and the Island was not crowded at all and many resorts were doing painting and cleanup since they were only about 20% full.

Hi, Thanks so much for the info. I just received a note from a diver saying cozumel wouldn't be a place to take my son, since most of the dives are too deep for him. What do you think about that if you don't mind me asking for more information! Thanks again for the reply! Jill

Hi, Thanks so much for the info. I just received a note from a diver saying cozumel wouldn't be a place to take my son, since most of the dives are too deep for him. What do you think about that if you don't mind me asking for more information! Thanks again for the reply! Jill
How old is your son? And what do you consider too deep? There are great dives that can be done at 40', 60', 80' and so on. And in general, the dives are very easy. Since everything is a drift dive, the boat just follows you and picks you up where you surface. If you are a bit nervous, you can always hire a private DM to go out the first day with you & your son to make sure you're both comfortable.

If you must stay at AI, I certainly would consider the Park Royal. Food is good for AI, pools, bars are great, and the place is spotless ! Im sure you could save a pretty decent amount of $$ staying there vs. the palace.

Last edited:
People will need to know his age & the amount of experience you both have before answering a question like that. Cozumel has a dive op for just about anyone out there, and excellent shallow dive sites too.

People will need to know his age & the amount of experience you both have before answering a question like that. Cozumel has a dive op for just about anyone out there, and excellent shallow dive sites too.

I agree completely. I took my daughter down there when she was 11, right after we both got our cards, and it was fine. Between a private boat the first day, and hiring our own DM's on the bigger boats for a few days the rest of the week, we did fine.

I've been certified since 1990 and done lots of diving, but my main focus is for my son. He got certified on his 10th b-day and done one dive trip in the caymans and a few dives in St. Martin. Very comfortable in water. With that said, safety is still number one and would like to find a dive group that take out smaller groups. Any suggestions. Any that are kid friendly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom