Looking for dive partner, Kauai May2-16, Maui 16-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beasleym

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving Kauai for 10 years now and have lots of experience. However, my wife doesn't dive and I have never tried some of the shore dives. It's also more fun to have a two- or three-some on any dives. I will also be going over to Niihau sometime while I'm there.

I have never dived Maui so having a partner there would be great as well.

Have a lot of varied experience here in the pacific northwest, done night and drift diving. Not necessarily looking for someone with a lot of experience but folks that like to explore and are comfortable with diving. More than willing to share my knowledge of places to dive Kauai, and who to use, and what to take!

If interested, please leave a post.

Aloha, Beasleym! When you make it over, stop by and visit our shop and we'll be happy to give you pointers for many of the local shore diving sites. As I'm sure you'll find from other posts, I am a big fan of guided dives but it sounds like you are quite experienced w/diving our island so if you'll be doing your own thing, we'll be happy to share what we know. Tunnels Beach diving might be an option during May if you have not yet dove that site - if not, you'll definitely want to talk with local dive shops before doing that dive on your own. At any rate, best of luck to you and happy diving!

Make your reservation for Niihau WAY in advance. This trip books up very very quickly and you dont want to miss it. If you want to be blown away get in touch with Linda at Bubbles Below. She has done more dives at Niihau than anyone other than the fish that live there. This is a trip you want an experienced guide for and she is like a dive encyclopedia!

You definitely want to go with an experienced dive company to Niihau. Linda from Bubbles is very experienced but Fathom Five also does a great job and has one of the best boats for the crossing back.

Koloa Landing can get ya in and out with a great dive experience without taking to much time away from your wife. That is a common question / solution. You'll be shocked at how much you can see.

Today was a typical day and here are some naturalist indentifications...

3 Baby Frogfish and one Adult
Several Devil Scorpion fish
Endemic Green Hawaiian Lionfish
3 Leaf Scorpion Fish
2 Freckled Snake Eels
1 Large Eye Conger (First I have seen in Hawaii)
1 Conger eel (Large resident on the site)
3 Dragon Morays
Numerous resident Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles
Crown of thorns sea star
Banded Coral Shrimp
White Mouth and stout morays
... and the usual host of fish you are familiar with.

Also a rare treat ... we had a huge pod of spinner dolphins that spent a large portion of the morning with us. Many of us there were lucky enough to see them both on scuba and while we were on the surface!

Koloa continues to amaze me how critter intensive it is day after day - year after year - no matter what the ocean conditions are!

Great post Aquaman, thanks for sharing.

I wish I could have been in the water with you! I was at the landing and saw the dolphins from shore. What a rare treat.

I wish I could! I am on vacation in a land-locked state :( PM DMJulie and she might be able to help you. Happy diving to you!

I'm not a Maui local, just a Winter escapee from Wisconsin that visits regularly, but I would welcome the opportunity to do a couple of shore dives with you. I will be in Maui March 20th through the 28th. Send me a personal message if you want to get together.

Oops! Read the wrong month. Sorry.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom