Looking for ideas on article series...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a very nice story. Deeper than I can dive, but sounds like a great dive none the less.

So it looks like it would be the weekend of February 5 & 6 - correct? Do you have more info such as boat/location, cost of dives and such?

Thanks,

Henrik

Hmm . . . the info I got from Errol indicated it would be the week of the 14th. Maybe I need to write to him again.

Hmm . . . the info I got from Errol indicated it would be the week of the 14th. Maybe I need to write to him again.

I was just basing my assumed "dates" on Fundies in January and diving the following weekend in February. I don't have any actual information :)

I'm sure Dan will chime in with the right answer.

Henrik

That's a very nice story. Deeper than I can dive, but sounds like a great dive none the less.

So it looks like it would be the weekend of February 5 & 6 - correct? Do you have more info such as boat/location, cost of dives and such?

Thanks,

Henrik

Henrik,

The depth issue does not need to be a problem....the Hole in the Wall dive is the Offshore Ledge dive of the northern portion of the huge reef tract known as Juno Ledge. The Reef crown comes up to between 95 feet and 110, depending on how far "inshore" you head from the offshore ledge....in other words, the top of the ledge the Hole in the Wall in in is about 110 feet deep, but if you swim just a little further to the inshore direction, it can be more like 100 or shallower quite easily. This is a very cool reef crown, with large pelagics crossing over it frequently...In fact, many spearfisherman that do the hole in the wall dive, do most of it hugging the top of the ledge, and about 30 feet inshore of it--they often get more shots at big fish, they get more bottom time, and they have less deco or deep diving issues.
The boat will be tracking your float ball or flag, which someone in your buddy team will be towing...the current will move you essentially the same as someone at 135 feet down on the ledge, so the job of the boat remains pretty easy. Their are also some great lobster spots on the crown!

Another dive is the Back Rolls of Juno, where the average depth is closer to 95 feet....this begins much further to the South than the Hole in the Wall dive, but on the same huge reef tract. It is the holy grail of Lobster dives, and scooter dives.....the current blows along at 3 mph freqeuntly here, and divers drift along over a huge expanse of sand covered limestone sometimes for 5 minutes, until suddenly they see a big round circle-- a "blowout" in the limestone....a 30 to 40 foot round undercut ledge, dropping down about 5 feet. Lobster antennae everywhere, and stuffed with fish..like an oasis in the desert. There are hundreds of these"blowouts" on the back rolls area of the crown. A scooter diver is in heaven, as they can blast from blowout to blowout, so effectively. A diver with good trim and bouyancy skills will enjoy this dive much more than a diver with poor trim. You will often need to go 30 degrees to the current, to get over to a blowout you want to hit...there is a technique to this, and it can be easy, but trim is crucial.

On one day we could do the back rolls and the hole in the wall.
On the other day, we could do the Hydroatlantic ( comes up to about 120 if memory serves) and this could be done with the 60 foot deep Delray Ledge, which is gorgeous.
I have tons of photos I can show of the Delray ledge, I'll have to get this to you guys a little later. Delray would be a 60 for 60 kind of dive...( Splashdown lets us do 60 minute bottom times on the reef).

We have several sources of normoxic trimix fills.....and O2 if desired.
Boat trips are around $70 for a 2 tank dive...I will get exact $$ for us and post it.
I will also get some very good deals with area hotels, in 3 quality choices-very cheap/middle of the road/3 to 4 star on the beach at Singer Island( 2 minutes from boat) and one 3 star at beach in Delray(near boynton diveboat for Hydro dive...
More later :)

Regards,
DanV

Last edited:
I was just basing my assumed "dates" on Fundies in January and diving the following weekend in February. I don't have any actual information :)

I'm sure Dan will chime in with the right answer.

Henrik
Just got this from Errol on this... :

"The jan class starts the 26th and runs through the weekend. The feb 14th ends friday and has the fun dives all weekend of the 18th. We can start doing it a lot more if lots of people seem interested, but that is the first one scheduled. Pretty sure I am going to do a gue/halcyon day late dec, will start planning all next week.
Errol"

Thanks for the dates Dan. I may try to round up a couple of people from here and see if we can make a trip out of it.

Henrik

Thanks for the dates Dan. I may try to round up a couple of people from here and see if we can make a trip out of it.

Henrik

You will have a blast. Dan knows all the off-beaten path dive sites teaming with marine life while on a virtual amusement ride with our current...

Get Chris (CJM) to come down. After 3 months of workouts I am ready to arm wrestle him. :D

Last edited:
Anyway, what I need help with is what you could call a video "shot list" of events or "opportunities" a recreational diver could find themselves in, where having DIR skills ( such as trim and bouyancy) will make a major difference in how much fun they can have/how much adventure they can safely enjoy.

Buddy of mine loves floating around midwater with no reference. This is easy to do in our local mudhole which typically has 20-40 feet of viz and you can nice a comfy greenish-black blob of nothingness all around you when you're only floating in 60-80 feet of actual water column.

On the other hand we've got a Lake up here which is glacier fed and nearly has cenote visibility and immediately drops off to 200-600 feet, and we've hovered at 60 feet and kicked off the wall to the point where we could barely see the wall anymore.

Not sure if you could capture that other than just a wide shot with divers hovering in nothing but blue...

What about something along the lines of how improved buoyancy control extends dive time? Newbs and even no so newbs waste a ton gas inflating and deflating bc. As well as being improperly weighted. I guess I am thinking of baby steps that anyone could take right where they are even in whatever gear they have to get a taste.

Early on someone of the DIR persuasion took me under their wing and helped me figure out weighting and trim as best the could over the net. I still have some work to do as I haven't been in the water much, but it gave me taste for what could be. Fundies is on my list of things I want to do. It was those small steps that gave me a taste to want more.

Maybe that isn't what you are looking for. Just a thought.

What about something along the lines of how improved buoyancy control extends dive time? Newbs and even no so newbs waste a ton gas inflating and deflating bc. As well as being improperly weighted. I guess I am thinking of baby steps that anyone could take right where they are even in whatever gear they have to get a taste.

Early on someone of the DIR persuasion took me under their wing and helped me figure out weighting and trim as best the could over the net. I still have some work to do as I haven't been in the water much, but it gave me taste for what could be. Fundies is on my list of things I want to do. It was those small steps that gave me a taste to want more.

Maybe that isn't what you are looking for. Just a thought.

Actually, I've recently watched a bunch of pre-fundies divers this summer (who have gotten *magnitudes* better and are taking fundies next weekend), who would blow through gas like crazy. Mostly it was that the way they moved through the water was to constantly nervously flutter kick. I hung behind them watching them kicking upslope and I'd KICK and glide and watch them kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick kick and then I'd KICK and glide. Being neutral and in trim means that you can float and guide and not use any gas and then just use your energy for propulsion. A lot of their kicking was simply because they weren't neutral and were constantly kicking for buoyancy control, a lot of the rest of it was simply that their kicks were not efficient and they weren't getting any glide. I hung behind them mostly floating, while they were mostly in constant motion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom