Looking for Keys Info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Key Largo on Thursday. Did 5 dives down there. 2 were deep (Speigel Grove and Duane). Used Atlantis (older boat, but awesome people) for the first 2 dives. The Benwood was a shallow wreck that had tons of fish, a nurse shark, lots of coral, etc. Definitely a must! After that we did a night dive and 2 more dives with the Conch Republic about 15 minutes South on the right. Faster boat, awesome folks, too. If you get the chance, a night dive is incredible in the Keys!!! Conch Republic does partial pressure mixing for Nitrox if you need it (the others do not use hyperfiltered air). I can't wait for my next trip down, down, down, down....

KeyLargoBrent:
Snapper Ledge is also highly recommended, as it's almost always LOADED with fishes, along with more than a few nurse sharks and moray eels.
I can certainly vouch for that! I dove this reef shortly after being discovered (it didn't even have a mooring ball yet), and was treated to a nice aquatic ballet performance by 5 yellowhead jaw fish who were doing some synchronized dancing about 1 foot from their borroughs. If I hadn't seen anything else on that dive (impossible), that would have been more than enough!!! This reef is, IMHO, second only to Molasses!!

As far as dive operators, I recommende Island Ventures. www.islandventure.com

My next trip down I'm looking at Key Largo dives, since I was told the vis is great there. I just got back from getting SSI and I did it with Dive Key West, great shop and people. Highly recommended, but they're in the Lower Keys.
We dove Cannonbal Cut, Sand Key, Rock Key and Haystacks that I can recall, and all were decent reefs with depths of 20-35ft and a lot of marine-life including Moray Eels and the very colorful Parrotfish amongst many more; my only complaint was vis as it was around 15ft for every dive across a 3 day span. Take that with a grain of salt, we're spoiled down here in SoFla when it comes to vis, marine-life and water temps :wink:

Just to follow on from Rixx.
I am from England and in Key West for a week from 19th September - Any advice for Key West?? Good Operators? Best boats for recreational diving?
Can only do half days so annot travel too far to be fair to my wife who does not dive.
Rixx do you need a buddy? email me if so.

For all the help!

An ol' buddy is coming down from Lakeland to meet me. Haven't seen him in 15 yrs. I'd like to take him (non divers)and his wife snorkeling somewhere around Key Largo, what would be my best bet?

Brent, and everyone else....THANKS!

This is an awesome board, it's just amazing how much help you can get..that QUICK!

Rixx :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom