looking for opinions on german yanez - cavern/cave instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I haven't personally witnessed German's teaching style I have done a couple of cave dives with him. He is a good cave diver and I have heard nothing but good things about his teaching. Did the other instructor offer specific reasons on why he wouldn't choose German or the other instructor?

I have never taken a class from German, but I have used him as a guide several times. Very nice guy. Very patient and kind. Even though he was with us as only a guide, he took a lot of time to "instruct" my wife, who was a very new cave diver at the time. He knows the caves well. I would highly recommend him.

German issued my TDI AN/DP and normoxic cards. I highly recommend his teaching. Alas, you would only find me dead in a cave, as I would never go in under my own power. Therefore I would never take a cave class from him or anyone else.

I've had good experiences at Protec and with Santiago Pintado in Playa.

There are two approaches to cave instruction. One is scenario-based, where you place students in scenarios where they are presented with problems they have to solve, and as they get more practiced, the stress is increased. The other is a mentoring type of training, where you dive with the student, and allow the cave to present the questions, and then help the student think through the best approaches.

German is a believer in the second approach. He trained my husband, who really enjoyed his classes and I think came out a good cave diver. The people I trained with believe in the first approach, in part because they have had the experience of blundering into an exigent situation and not feeling that they had the background to cope with it well. I think that the two different approaches work for different kinds of people, but I am glad my husband had other scenario-based, stress inducing training before he got his cave education, because I think you do need some of that kind of experience if you are going to work in overhead environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom