Looking for some more divers this weekend in West Palm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheeper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Anyone want to join us diving on the "Wetter the Better" this Saturday at 1pm in West Palm? we need some folks to fill the boat. 2 tank dive on some awesome reefs for $70.

We have a group of three and the boat won't go unless we have at least 4. We're a good group....we don't bite. 2 newish divers and 1 with heavy experience.

PM me if interested!

You might want to keep track of conditions. It has been very windy for almost two weeks and the vis is shot. I was out last Friday (when it also calmed down for a day) and it was "dirty thirty" on the Breakers reef even at high tide, althopugh we did have a good dive with lots of free-swimming morays. There has now been another week of wind. Abernethy told me that some fishing friends of theirs reported poor vis even in 200 feet of water. Most dive ops I know have not been out all week. Also, the low tide on Sat is 5:00 pm so the dirty bay water will be pushing offshore all afternoon. As for the seas, it is supposed to calm down Friday through Sat morning, but high winds and seas are developing by Saturday evening, so an afternoon dive is chancy. Several ops do have Friday and Sat morning trips planned, but no one will know what conditions are like because no one has been out. The odds of poor vis are very high, it seems to me.

I think even the BHB has poor vis right now, even at high tide.

I had wanted to dive this weekend but will probably pass. A good weekend for the boat show instead!

I've read reports this afternoon of 80' vis in Jupiter. That is dive boat reported vis mind you so it is probably more like 50'

That was Emerald. They do 3 tanks on Wed and I think one of their dives is the deep ledges. That might be close enough to the gulf stream to get good vis, but is totally unsuited to newer divers (110-130 feet and usually a strong current).

It is good to know about the vis, though. Maybe I will reconsider. I can certainly live with even 60' . . .

yeah.....we'll be watching carefully. In real life. i'm in emergency management/homeland security and was a public safety diver. So we'll be watching carefully.
Based on what Rina is likely to do, saturday may not be too bad. Sunday will have high winds.....

Saturday morning seems safer than the afternoon, but the main issue is the vis and not the seas. I was on Emerald's site and he now said his report of 80' was a mistake and the vis yesterday was actually very poor. Even with calm seas I just don't see it clearing up in only a day or two.

I interpreted his comment different than you. I interpreted as the vis was 10 ft on tuesday, but 80 feet on wed.

Also yes it easily can change that fast.

I'll have a first hand report tomorrow...

I would recommend a morning charter saturday if at all possible, the wind is supposed to start picking up saturday afternoon.

thanks....i'll look forward to some viz reports on friday!

Winds should pick up later Saturday making Sunday quite ripping. Agreed on the viz. We'll make a go-no go decision point and we'll talk to the captain tomorrow.

Yes, keep us posted. It can change fast depending on the gulf stream. Morning Saturday would also be more favorable as high tide is 10:00 am and the blue water might be in closer to shore. If things look good we might be interested. If Walker's cannot do a Sat morning maybe Emerald or Blue Tang?

Went out of Jupiter inlet this afternoon. Water temp 80; vis 60 to 80 ft on the Zion; 50 to 60 ft on Capt Kurls; 50 to 60 ft on Loggerhead.

Nice day out. Tomorrow and Saturday look good; rest of the week looks iffy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom