Looking for some nices dives in eastern canada this summer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all!

Ok, I decided about what I want to do. First, it will be in Cap Breton. I didnt see all of the Bras D'or area the last time I went there, and it look like it is the place to dive. I want to do some hiking, hoping to see some bald eagles and take some pictures of them!!! I like camping. I could sleep in my tent all the time.. I could sometime sleep in my truck (Kia Sorento so plenty of room at the back) if weather is bad or there is no camping near the Bras D'or area. The town of Sydney could be nice to visit too, and spend some time shopping for souvenirs for my nephews and niece.. Maybe nightlife too... who knows! :yelclap: :cheers:

I'd like to dive at least 2 days. Talking of diving, I have to admit that I'm some kind of nervous with water. Well, I feel good at the bottom, diving. I do feel good on a boat too. Problem is between the boat and the bottom... I dont fell good when I dont feel the bottom from the surface. I rather start from the shore, walking until I'm in 4-5 feet of water, drop to the bottom and start the dive right away. I never felt comfortable on the water, no problem in. I guess that this will clear up once I got more experienced. It is my advice for any buddy that could dive with me the first time!!!:sorry19z:

I dont know if it is possible on that area, but I'd like to camp near the ocean, but not on a campgroung.. just somewhere on the beach..

So that's it. If anybody has something nice to add to my suggestion, or any kind of advice, I'll be more than happy to read them.

Pat!:
Hello all!

Ok, I decided about what I want to do. First, it will be in Cap Breton. I didnt see all of the Bras D'or area the last time I went there, and it look like it is the place to dive. I want to do some hiking, hoping to see some bald eagles and take some pictures of them!!! I like camping. I could sleep in my tent all the time.. I could sometime sleep in my truck (Kia Sorento so plenty of room at the back) if weather is bad or there is no camping near the Bras D'or area. The town of Sydney could be nice to visit too, and spend some time shopping for souvenirs for my nephews and niece.. Maybe nightlife too... who knows! :yelclap: :cheers:

I'd like to dive at least 2 days. Talking of diving, I have to admit that I'm some kind of nervous with water. Well, I feel good at the bottom, diving. I do feel good on a boat too. Problem is between the boat and the bottom... I dont fell good when I dont feel the bottom from the surface. I rather start from the shore, walking until I'm in 4-5 feet of water, drop to the bottom and start the dive right away. I never felt comfortable on the water, no problem in. I guess that this will clear up once I got more experienced. It is my advice for any buddy that could dive with me the first time!!!:sorry19z:

I dont know if it is possible on that area, but I'd like to camp near the ocean, but not on a campgroung.. just somewhere on the beach..

So that's it. If anybody has something nice to add to my suggestion, or any kind of advice, I'll be more than happy to read them.

Let me see . . . Grand Narrows barge wreck is a shore dive; the artificial reef at New Campbellton is a shore dive (max. depth 35 ft.); I think the Yankee 2 wreck in Baddeck is a shore dive; Gooseberry Cove can be a shore dive; The Rock in St. Andrews channel is a boat dive, but the max. depth there is only about 35 feet, at least that is where the carved dolphin, fishing boat wreck, treasure chest, etc. are. When you are more certain of your plans, (dates), give me a PM or ScubaTech a call, and you will likely be able to find local divers who would love to go out and show you around. I know what you mean about "between the boat and the bottom" - I find that plunge off the boat the hardest part of a dive. However, if you dive with the club, especially with Ken of ScubaTech, you will likely have lots of experienced divers with you to make sure you are comfortable and safe.

Baddeck is a truly lovely town, your best bet for getting nice souvenirs. I LOVE the Yellow Cello! Be sure to check out Louisbourg as well, phone and make sure the Marine Museum is open (artifacts from Le Chameau).

Camping near the ocean: Hmmm - all I know of are campgrounds, not certain of the legality of camping on the beach in NS. I will ask around about that one.

Hiking: If you are not planning to go to Cape Breton Highlands National Park, the hiking would be in provincial parks, a few coastal trails (great one near Gooseberry Cove, very lovely) and around Louisbourg (the park and the town).
Check out the Nova Scotia site: http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

You can send for free travel guides, they are worth having!

E Rick:
I Pat i will be in Cape Breton area july 31 to augut 6... I will dive the Bras d'Or Lake. I want to dive with local divers but if your intereted i will PM you my cell phone and we can set things up!

Salut Pat, je vais être en vacances dans la région du Cape-Breton du 31 juillet au 6 août. J'ai l'intention de plonger le Lac Bras d'Or!! Si tu es au Cape-Breton pendant cette période dis moi si tu es intéressé et je t'enverrai mon numéro de cell par message privé (PM). Il est toujours très intéressant de plonger avec les locaux car ils connaissent bien les sites de plongées.

You are welcome to use all the info I supplied to Pat, and of course welcome to dive with the Nervous Wrecks.

Je comprens tous votre message, mais ma francais ce ne pas good enough for me to repliquez dans cette langue.

Does that ever frustrate me!

Nehallenia:
Let me see . . . Grand Narrows barge wreck is a shore dive; the artificial reef at New Campbellton is a shore dive (max. depth 35 ft.); I think the Yankee 2 wreck in Baddeck is a shore dive; Gooseberry Cove can be a shore dive; The Rock in St. Andrews channel is a boat dive, but the max. depth there is only about 35 feet, at least that is where the carved dolphin, fishing boat wreck, treasure chest, etc. are. When you are more certain of your plans, (dates), give me a PM or ScubaTech a call, and you will likely be able to find local divers who would love to go out and show you around. I know what you mean about "between the boat and the bottom" - I find that plunge off the boat the hardest part of a dive. However, if you dive with the club, especially with Ken of ScubaTech, you will likely have lots of experienced divers with you to make sure you are comfortable and safe.

Baddeck is a truly lovely town, your best bet for getting nice souvenirs. I LOVE the Yellow Cello! Be sure to check out Louisbourg as well, phone and make sure the Marine Museum is open (artifacts from Le Chameau).

Camping near the ocean: Hmmm - all I know of are campgrounds, not certain of the legality of camping on the beach in NS. I will ask around about that one.

Hiking: If you are not planning to go to Cape Breton Highlands National Park, the hiking would be in provincial parks, a few coastal trails (great one near Gooseberry Cove, very lovely) and around Louisbourg (the park and the town).
Check out the Nova Scotia site: http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

You can send for free travel guides, they are worth having!

Thanks a lot. With all the choice you give me, I dont know if I will have enough of 2 days of diving!! maybe I should revise my plan and do more diving. I got Scubatech web site bookmarked. I will contact them for air and locals divers willing to bring a newbie, if needed.

I wanted to dive on the weeekend, but I may spend the whole week near the Bras D'Or area. I will find a camping area in this area. I will try to match my week with E Rick one, that could be fun.

The map I have do not have New Campbellton on it. Can you please tell me where it is situated, let say, from Baddeck?

Oh.. I'm really happy to hear that the Yellow Cello is still there. I remember the view to the water down the road from the "terrasse" (in french.. I dont have the right english word for it! The place outside to eat, if you know what I mean?) while eating my burger!!! That reminded me those british movies with old pirate boats and their town.. You definitively help me with your advice here. I hope I could meet you there sometime for a drink... as a payback for your time!!

The Doer and dreamers guide fron NS is one of my spring gift. I always order an issue even if I dont plan to go.. I have the last year issue, but will order my 2005 one soon.

Then again, thanks a lot for your time. I really appreciate.

Pat!:
Thanks a lot. With all the choice you give me, I dont know if I will have enough of 2 days of diving!! maybe I should revise my plan and do more diving. I got Scubatech web site bookmarked. I will contact them for air and locals divers willing to bring a newbie, if needed.

I wanted to dive on the weeekend, but I may spend the whole week near the Bras D'Or area. I will find a camping area in this area. I will try to match my week with E Rick one, that could be fun.

The map I have do not have New Campbellton on it. Can you please tell me where it is situated, let say, from Baddeck?

Oh.. I'm really happy to hear that the Yellow Cello is still there. I remember the view to the water down the road from the "terrasse" (in french.. I dont have the right english word for it! The place outside to eat, if you know what I mean?) while eating my burger!!! That reminded me those british movies with old pirate boats and their town.. You definitively help me with your advice here. I hope I could meet you there sometime for a drink... as a payback for your time!!

The Doer and dreamers guide fron NS is one of my spring gift. I always order an issue even if I dont plan to go.. I have the last year issue, but will order my 2005 one soon.

Then again, thanks a lot for your time. I really appreciate.

I am very pleased to be able to help, Pat. Yes, you could spend two weeks here and still not see and do everything! Heck, I've lived here for 4 years and still have lots of exploring to do.

New Campbellton is near North Sydney, you turn left onto a dirt road at the base of Kelly's Mountain. I would say at least a 45 min. drive from Baddeck. On a map you might see Cape Dauphin marked - it is near there. The body of water is the Great Bras d'Or Channel. Actually, on my Cape Breton travel map here, New Campbellton it actually marked. You might request the Cape Breton Travel Map when you send for the 2005 Doers and Dreamers Guide. If you look in the "user contributions" gallery on the Cape Breton Diving website (http://www.capebretondiving.net/), you will see photos of the artificial reef deployment - those concrete balls are reef modules!

I would love to have a drink with you on the terrace at the Yellow Cello, though it is more important to me that you come here, have a great vacation, and do some memorable diving with local divers (most of whom have more experience as divers than I). Hope to see you HERE underwater!

Cape Breton is great diving. I enjoyed it thoroughly when I was living in Sydney.
Just a word of warning. IMO, Grand Narrows is a great dive spot (probably one of the best I've seen in Canada) but is not suitable for a new diver that isn't very comfortable in the water yet. :wink:
Some pics from Grand Narrows can be seen here too: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/s...check=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=&cat=500

aquaoren:
Cape Breton is great diving. I enjoyed it thoroughly when I was living in Sydney.
Just a word of warning. IMO, Grand Narrows is a great dive spot (probably one of the best I've seen in Canada) but is not suitable for a new diver that isn't very comfortable in the water yet. :wink:
Some pics from Grand Narrows can be seen here too: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/s...check=0&page=1&sortby=&sorttime=&way=&cat=500

Grand Narrows has unpredictable current conditions, so best go with an experienced local diver (or several). One of my first open water dives was there on a day with extreme current, so I didn't get to see the wreck, just check out the great marine life at the bridge pilings. I still thought it was great and didn't think anything of the current (which had actually pinned me to one of the pilings on the return swim) until we surfaced and my buddy told me "if you can dive in that, you can dive in anything". Hook up with some local divers, or you could hire one of the fellows from here:

http://www.sporting-mountain.com/Activities/Diving/diving.html

as a guide. Not sure of the cost, but they will keep you safe and make sure you have a great dive.

Well.. it doesnt look good.. I still have no clue if i'll be able to have vacation for the beginning of august because of they have to finish the job sooner, so I could push my vacation for end august, maybe september.

Is it still diveable if I'm in Cap Breton in september?

Pat!:
Well.. it doesnt look good.. I still have no clue if i'll be able to have vacation for the beginning of august because of they have to finish the job sooner, so I could push my vacation for end august, maybe september.

Is it still diveable if I'm in Cap Breton in september?

Oh, yes - the water is actually warmer in August and September than in June/early July. So there is still lots of great diving to do here in the Fall!

Thanks Nehallenia... So things dont look that bad after all. I could go over there to celebrate my birthday then...

But... What about camping??? Do I need an isolated tent or if it is still warm enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom