Looking for something different...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDad

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're looking for something different for next years trip...We've done a lot of the usual Carribean dive destinations (Caymans, Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel, Grenada, Bahamas, Turks, etc.) and are considering the St. Thomas.

Our criteria is pretty simple...good diving, non-diving activities and a nice hotel....any input on St. Thomas (or alternatives) would be appreciated....

St. Thomas is pretty bustling. We have everything from cheap cheap rooms to the Ritz. Because of the number of visitors we get, there is plenty to do that's non-diving and fun. Lots of water excursions but there's also the Butterfly Farm, Coral World, Paradise Point and a ton of others that are land-based.

It's a 20 minute ferry ride to St. John which has great beaches and snorkeling, plus hiking throughout the national park which is about 2/3 of the island. Good shopping, good food and one of the most famous happy hours in the islands at Woody's.

All the islands are pretty close so day excursions to Jost van Dyke, Tortola, and the RMS Rhone are all possible with very little hassle.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Rachel

It depends on what "different" means to you. To me, it would mean looking beyond the developed islands to the less frequented and unusual personalities of place. While the Virgins are very nice, especially the BVI -- Saba, Dominica, St. Vincent, Bequia, etc. are very interesting alternatives.

I would HIGHLY recommend talking to Duane and Laura at Admiralty Dive . They have AWESOME customer service and will really work with you to give you a great experience both in and out of the water and take you to some really amazing dive sites. They are at the Holiday Inn on St. Thomas, which is super convenient to great shopping and nightlife, rooms are nice and VERY reasonable, and even if you don't stay there, they'll pick you up.

Another vote for the BVI! We really enjoy the casual pace, great beaches, friendly people, and very good diving.

We prefer villa rentals rather than resorts, because we get a lot more room, private pools, great views, and we go at our pace rather than the resort's. We've rented from a # of villa reps and http://www.blueescapes.com/ has one of the largest selection of villas in the Caribbean, including a number on St. Thomas.

I have quite a few photo albums here: http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

safe diving, alashas

You may want to be aware that St. Thomas is one busy place during the day. Cruise ship are the main stay during the day. A local shop owner told us that they see up to 70 ships a week during their peak weeks. Night safety can also be of question, if you like to get out and about.

"Different' as in a change of destination...a couple of friends mentioned they liked St. Thomas so that's where I've started the search. Not looking for anything overly adventurous for this trip. And as far as crusie ships go...i've seen 7 in at one tiime in Grand Cayman and 9 in Cozumel. We just stay out of town until the barges have re-loaded.

The same 'off the beaten path' type search for the wife and I yielded Dominica as a decision. But I can't tell you how good an idea it was yet, since we don't leave for another 6 weeks or so (April 21st).

Back
Top Bottom