Looking for suggestions regarding gauges for an occasional diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might be interested in one of these if you go with a basic spg : Oceanic Compass Hose Mount Assembly Look at the second picture of the spg hose mount. I think you can get one for your compass but not sure.

Considering the way you say you're going to dive, a Zoop and sturdy SPG will serve you well forever. (Or any basic nitrox computer for less than $200. Oceanic, Mares , etc.)

Sorry I know you said you don't want the gauge vs computer discussion but it is reasonable to raise as I just see the computer as by far the best option and not a great deal or difference in cost given the overall cost of diving. Just go the low cost computer. I don't say cheap as that word gives the impression it may be inferior. I use the Mares Puck and I dive frequently (in fact I dive with two of them one as back-up). They are reliable, easy to use and low cost! I am price conscious all my regs and BCs are second-hand.
I run club dives and it is mandatory to dive with a computer. I don't make the rules, but that is the rule. Many operators I dive with apply the same rule.
As others get a small brass SPG, you don't need to look at it that frequently. Get the computer on your wrist you don't have to go look for it, its there ready to read. Much easier on assent as you are not holding a console and adjust buoyancy...
And don't forget you will need an alternate second stage.

Sorry I know you said you don't want the gauge vs computer discussion but it is reasonable to raise as I just see the computer as by far the best option and not a great deal or difference in cost given the overall cost of diving. Just go the low cost computer. I don't say cheap as that word gives the impression it may be inferior. I use the Mares Puck and I dive frequently (in fact I dive with two of them one as back-up). They are reliable, easy to use and low cost! I am price conscious all my regs and BCs are second-hand.
I run club dives and it is mandatory to dive with a computer. I don't make the rules, but that is the rule. Many operators I dive with apply the same rule.
As others get a small brass SPG, you don't need to look at it that frequently. Get the computer on your wrist you don't have to go look for it, its there ready to read. Much easier on assent as you are not holding a console and adjust buoyancy...
And don't forget you will need an alternate second stage.

Thanks TBar, I guess my aversion to computers is based on where the technology was 10 years ago when I was certified. Obviously times have changed. I still prefer to keep things simple, and I tend to trust mechanical instruments to electronic ones, especially around water. I know I should get with the times, I'm still looking for a new car with a stick shift which are now pretty darn rare here in the USA. However, I see the benefits of going with a computer, I just think the security of having a mechanical gauge as backup would be nice. Your points are well taken as are all the others in the thread.

Once I get the gauges worked out, I'll be on to find an octo...but that's for another thread.

deleted for redundancy reasons

Last edited:
Here is my 2 cents worth. When my daughter was certified at 15, I had her use the tables for her first 50 dives so she could understand how they worked. I figured if her computer failed in a dive she would have the knowledge to know when to come up.. We carry a computer and a depth gauge and watch so we have a back-up.

1. Go to Deep Sea Supply and for $12 you can get a wrist mount for your compass. As mentioned before, the retractable system is an entanglement hazard. Plus if it is on your wrist, you know where it is immediately.

Not sure what your average depths are but:
2. If shallow(50 - 60 feet or less), get a depth /pressure combo from $180 to 200+
3. If deeper than 60 feet,
a. Get a 2" brass and glass PG (Dive Rite or Light Monkey) for about $70 and a 21 to 24" hose for $25 to 30. Do not worry about a boot but get a $10 clip so you can clip it to your BC. If you want a longer hose, I can ship you one for the shipping cost.
b. Invest in a low cost computer for $180 or more. As previously mentioned, this will help you get a buddy who is using a computer and will also give you extra bottom time. Get a Nitrox Compatible computer in the event you get Nitrox certified. The extra cost will be minimal and you may be glad you did.
4. Dive more :)

Good luck and have fun.

... I still prefer to keep things simple, and I tend to trust mechanical instruments to electronic ones, especially around water.
There may some merit to that. But you will need a timer, would you have a clockwork watch? Saying that I do, but it has flooded twice and my computer has not flooded. A flooded watch cant be trusted.

I'm still looking for a new car with a stick shift which are now pretty darn rare here in the USA.
I would see a better analogy as using a computer navigation vs a paper map. The navigation system is safer, it will talk to me and I can keep eyes on the road the map I have to work at and am distracted.

...I just think the security of having a mechanical gauge as backup would be nice.
Why, what is your concern? I have had problems with accuracy of depth gauges and found the max depth needle to be 'bumped' on return to the surface. It only gives one dive history so you have to write details up after every dive, when doing repetitive dives. For me this is normally on a small wet boat. The computer does all the calcs on SIT and Planed dive time for the next dive, no need to find waterproof paper and a pencil :)

I have a couple of rules:
1) Check the battery level when packing gear and check again when gearing-up. I also carry a number of batteries.
2) Computer fails the dive is over (the main reason for fails I have seen are flat battery - see rule 1!)

Agree with the other poster ensure it in Nitrox. Best improvement in diving have been the computer and commercially available nitrox.

There may some merit to that. But you will need a timer, would you have a clockwork watch? Saying that I do, but it has flooded twice and my computer has not flooded. A flooded watch cant be trusted..

See my answer earlier in the thread, yes, I've been using a watch and tables.

I would see a better analogy as using a computer navigation vs a paper map. The navigation system is safer, it will talk to me and I can keep eyes on the road the map I have to work at and am distracted.

I wasn't trying to make an analogy of diving with traditional gauges vs. computer with the car comment. What I was trying to say is that I tend to prefer more "old school" way of doing things.

Why, what is your concern? I have had problems with accuracy of depth gauges and found the max depth needle to be 'bumped' on return to the surface. It only gives one dive history so you have to write details up after every dive, when doing repetitive dives. For me this is normally on a small wet boat. The computer does all the calcs on SIT and Planed dive time for the next dive, no need to find waterproof paper and a pencil :)

I have a couple of rules:
1) Check the battery level when packing gear and check again when gearing-up. I also carry a number of batteries.
2) Computer fails the dive is over (the main reason for fails I have seen are flat battery - see rule 1!)

I agree that the computer gives you more flexibility. My main concern is that I don't dive often, and mostly just when I get the opportunity to go on vacation, which sadly, is not as often as I would like. Having a computer die on me during a dive, or just before a dive, means a significant loss in time, money, and effort if I have to cancel a dive (either during or at the last minute). I might only have 1 opportunity on a dive boat that year, and if my gear were to fail, then I'm SOL until next time, which could be years away. For this reason, I'm more interested in a more reliable set-up that will last me for many years. Computer technology changes so rapidly, I feel investing in a computer now wouldn't be worth what I would get out of it, whereas a tradition mechanical gauge set-up could last me a very long time. I could see buying a new computer, using it once or twice, and then it sitting for a long time which by the time I go to dive again, it's obsolete or not even working anymore, and in that scenario I've paid for something that does way more than I need, and I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it.

I totally understand the benefits of computers, I'm just not sure if the economics buying a computer works in my particular situation where I'm happy to be using tables and having reliable gear that I know will work when I get there. With that all said, I think my idea set-up would be a traditional gauge (SPG and Depth on a console) set with a simple computer as a nicety, but not something that I'm relying on to be a primary system. With that in mind, I'm looking to get the gauges sorted first. Then, if I want to go with a computer, I can start thinking about that.

The original intent of the thread was to see what brands are considered good when it comes to mechanical gauges and what I should be looking for in a traditional gauge set. As an example, I was hoping someone would be able to say "avoid such and so brand" or "look for this feature". I think this thread has provided really good information in that regard concerning the SPGs and I'm not much more informed about what to be on the look out for.

I really don't want to get off track into the computer vs. traditional arguments, there's plenty of other threads for that.

Here is my 2 cents worth. When my daughter was certified at 15, I had her use the tables for her first 50 dives so she could understand how they worked. I figured if her computer failed in a dive she would have the knowledge to know when to come up.. We carry a computer and a depth gauge and watch so we have a back-up.

1. Go to Deep Sea Supply and for $12 you can get a wrist mount for your compass. As mentioned before, the retractable system is an entanglement hazard. Plus if it is on your wrist, you know where it is immediately.

Not sure what your average depths are but:
2. If shallow(50 - 60 feet or less), get a depth /pressure combo from $180 to 200+
3. If deeper than 60 feet,
a. Get a 2" brass and glass PG (Dive Rite or Light Monkey) for about $70 and a 21 to 24" hose for $25 to 30. Do not worry about a boot but get a $10 clip so you can clip it to your BC. If you want a longer hose, I can ship you one for the shipping cost.
b. Invest in a low cost computer for $180 or more. As previously mentioned, this will help you get a buddy who is using a computer and will also give you extra bottom time. Get a Nitrox Compatible computer in the event you get Nitrox certified. The extra cost will be minimal and you may be glad you did.
4. Dive more :)

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you for your suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom