Looking for the downside in regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aric M L:
That was incredibly helpful actually. Thank you very much. I do plan on doing cold water diving as I live in WI and that then begs the question, how do you tell if a reg will tolerate cold water? I'm not going to go ice diving by any stretch but if you have any suggestions for a more basic unit that would work to maybe 40 degrees that would be quite useful. As it is, the information you've given has really helped me understand why I might want to save a few pennies for a nicer reg. Thanks again.
FWIW, when people say "cold water", they usually mean under 40 degrees. Above 40 degrees, it's pretty tough to freeze up a reg.

Personally, I consider anything under 51 degrees to be D*%# COLD! but that's not what is meant by "cold" when talking about regs.

As one example, you'll find people repeating what they have read here, that the ScubaPro MK25/S600 reg (one of the best around) is "bad for cold water diving". When pressed, you'll discover they have never actually tried it or had a problem, but that's what they "heard" or "read". When investigated, you'll find a comment about free-flowing issues while ice diving. I don't know about you, but if I EVER go ice diving, I'll borrow or rent specialized equipment for appropriate use. The rest of my life, I'll enjoy using one of the better regs ever made. The Navy site quoted above has this to say about the MK25/S600: "AUTHORIZED TO 190 FSW AND 38 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT WATER AND WARMER." As the captain notes above, "If it is good enough for the Navy it is probably good enough for you..."

Sherwood Maximus, easy to service, good for cold or warm diving, great at depth, all in all an excellent reg. been using one for some time, switched from a poseidon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom