Looking to buy a kayak. Have a question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobstah Slayah

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a kayak, mainly to dive from but occasionally fish from also:cool2:. I'd be using it to paddle out to the reefs off of South Florida. I really liked the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 Angler. While at the shop the salesman told be I'd be better off with a Skupper Pro TW. His reasoning was that minimal was better and the Skupper at almost 15' would be faster. The Skupper is about $200 cheaper and it's 5lbs lighter. Now I'm totally confused. Has anyone had experience with either of these? They are just now in the process of starting rentals at the shop so I wasn't able to rent one and try it out. Help a nube out please!

Well, I don't have any experience with those 2 boats so I can't help you with that but, I have a Cobra Fish/Dive which I like alot. It will carry up to 600 lbs., is very stable and has tons of inside storage space. Down side is that it can be bulky to move around out of the water, is not extremely fast and weighs 57 lbs. Usually, if you are looking for speed, ya gotta give up some stability and vice versa. I'm not sure but, I think Orlando Eric just bought a Trident, so you might ask him what he thinks. Also, try a search because I seem to remember there being a thread a while back in this forum where everyone listed what type of yak they had and the positives & negatives of each. Welcome to yak diving and if ya ever get over to Venice, give a shout, we've got a few yak divers over here that will go diving with ya.

Hey Mote, ya think a thread with everyone listing their boat, likes/dislikes, would make a good sticky?

It would make a great thread but I don't have moderator priviledges on this forum, only the venice forum. Colin could make it happen though.

oops! I knew that (forgot though) Oh Colin.................

Thanks guys. After I get one I might just take you up on your offer. I have summers off and have a camper, so a road trip might just be in order. Going to looks at Yaks today (just look! I promised wifey!).

Leaning toward the Trident 15 Angler.

Teach Miami -- I am not a Yak expert. I looked at lots of yaks before buying mine. I previously have rented the OK Scrambler XT. I have never been in the Prowler 13. I can tell you compared to the XT the 15'7" Prowler is WAY faster and tracks WAY WAY straighter even with my crappy NOOB paddle stroke.

Mine has an optional rear hatch which is surprisingly handy. The 15' yak has a for sure disadvantage. It is GiaNormous. It only wieghs 6 more pounds than the 13' due to inch in width. It handles great in the water and I can turn it, manuever, start, stop all that just dandy. Getting on top of the truck and walk it to the water if there is a stiff breeze takes effort. I am not a small guy though (6'1" 200#) and it is not so much a difficult task but I can see if I where a bit shorter or a bit weaker I would have to rig something like rollers and use a cart instead of my method now of shouldered the yak and walking it across the parking lot, down the board walk and across the beach.

I like the all around life line it has. I started to add more clips until I took a good look at the lifeline. It is ran through mulitple clips. Anything clipped to the line would have to pull several clips out to be lost. I now just clip my paddle, gear or other stuff to the life line. I do intend to modify the front anchor point as of right now it is just the carry handle.

If you go to one of those video sights and type in "yak fishing" you will see tons of stuff. You might have to turn off the sound those fishing show guys sound like Fran Desser to me.

Teach Miami -- I am not a Yak expert. I looked at lots of yaks before buying mine. I previously have rented the OK Scrambler XT. I have never been in the Prowler 13. I can tell you compared to the XT the 15'7" Prowler is WAY faster and tracks WAY WAY straighter even with my crappy NOOB paddle stroke.

Mine has an optional rear hatch which is surprisingly handy. The 15' yak has a for sure disadvantage. It is GiaNormous. It only wieghs 6 more pounds than the 13' due to inch in width. It handles great in the water and I can turn it, manuever, start, stop all that just dandy. Getting on top of the truck and walk it to the water if there is a stiff breeze takes effort. I am not a small guy though (6'1" 200#) and it is not so much a difficult task but I can see if I where a bit shorter or a bit weaker I would have to rig something like rollers and use a cart instead of my method now of shouldered the yak and walking it across the parking lot, down the board walk and across the beach.

I like the all around life line it has. I started to add more clips until I took a good look at the lifeline. It is ran through mulitple clips. Anything clipped to the line would have to pull several clips out to be lost. I now just clip my paddle, gear or other stuff to the life line. I do intend to modify the front anchor point as of right now it is just the carry handle.

If you go to one of those video sights and type in "yak fishing" you will see tons of stuff. You might have to turn off the sound those fishing show guys sound like Fran Desser to me.

I have viewed quite a few videos about yak fishing and diving. I'm a smaller guy (height-wise that is) 5'8" but I think I could muscle it on my van. I will probably have to look into a set of wheels to get it from parking to water. As far as weight, in the literature it lists the 13' and the 15' as being 60lbs. I sat in one today and found it very comfortable. Another 2 weeks or so and I should have enough $$$ to pull the trigger.

I just bought a new (2008) Prowler Trident 15. It has the molded foot wells, unlike the 09's. They offered to install the adjustable foot pegs so I said ok. This model does have the molded in rod holders. I'm very happy with my purchase and as soon as I can figure out how to tell my wife I bought it, I'll bring it home!

Hi Teachmiami and congrats!!! I kayak dive off Fort Lauderdale all summer long with Kayuba. Please look at our website and come to a meeting but more importantly, come dive with us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom