Looking to buy a kayak. Have a question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teach-- My first trip out I paddled with a pod of about 6 ~ 8 Dolphins.. they really did not care I was there with the careful no splash paddle stroke. The thing seems to draft about 6" of water!! I paddled across shallow flats at low tide. I portaged across a sand bar and paddle MILES for around 6 hours. I burnt my legs to literal blisters!! -- wear something on you legs they are postioned perfectly to get 2nd degree burns.

If you still have a $100.00 to spare I do not think a waterproof VHF radio is optional. Turn to channel 9-- SEATOW SEATOW SEATOW this is Lost Kayak I am two miles off the Dania beach water tower and drifting to sea.

SEATOW SEATOW SEATOW---

Or you can call the Coasties on 16 if you are truly in peril.

PS-- I yaked all of this area in six hours----CLICK HERE

Let me rephrase that.. I started at the "A" little jim bridge. I paddled south to the inlet then back to the intercoastal. I paddled north and east into the two coves and around the perimeters. Up to the shallow canal to the east of Jack Island and back around to the intercoastal again. Then back to little jim bridge-- tired pup with burnt dogs.

Ditto on the VHS. Your cell phone might not work offshore. And what if you got it wet? They are not all that expensive. I carry a portable GPS, a portable VHF, and my cell phone. And with the GPS I could give an exact position if I needed help.

Here is a for instance...despite using a paddle leash, I lost my paddle a mile offshore during one of my early kayak dives. Talk about up chit creek without a paddle!!! LUCKILY another yakker saw that I was in distress and paddled out and found my paddle for me. If not for him I would have been using that VHF.

I have since purchased an emergency combination oar/boathook (useful for docking) but now I double-tie the paddle leash.

My kayak came with a SPOT device. It uses satellite to track and has a button to push to call for emergency help. I am going to look into a GPS/ Fish finder and a marine radio eventually. I wish I was home this weekend to take out the Yak, but I'm picking my daughter up at college. I brink the Yak home Monday.

SPOT? Is that like Onstar?

SPOT is like an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicator Radio Becon) except it also has message capability.
It transmits your position via emergency rescue satelitte along with programable message "mayday", "I'm OK", "I need assistance".

Last edited:
A-ha! Found it. Pretty darned pricey annual contract.

I think it said $125.00 a year wasn't it? Plus add ons-- not to bad if it works and there are not so many false alarms that no one reponds like the EPIRB is becoming...

I think this is a simple fix with the "Oppss did I just scramble a Helio, cutter and go fast boat.. my bad.."

Here's your $2500.00 1st offense fine -- next time it is $5k-- Enjoy your day on the water now.. bye buy

I think it said $125.00 a year wasn't it? Plus add ons-- not to bad if it works and there are not so many false alarms that no one reponds like the EPIRB is becoming...

I think this is a simple fix with the "Oppss did I just scramble a Helio, cutter and go fast boat.. my bad.."

Here's your $2500.00 1st offense fine -- next time it is $5k-- Enjoy your day on the water now.. bye buy

It was $149. Yikes about the fines:fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear:. Guess I should stow it under my gear where buttons can be accidently pressed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom