Looking to dive LA July 30/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all

I'm visiting LA soon for a conference, I have 2 days off on July 30 and 31 and I want to dive,dive,dive. I'm Australian and would like to see something unique to California! I've often thought of diving the giant kelp or seals off California (seriously!!)

I don't know anything about diving round LA other than what I found online, and of course it's short notice and its hard to make inquiries from here cause of the time difference. So I'm just thinking... if you were visiting LA from overseas, didn't really know the area, and had 2 days to dive, what would you do, and how much would it typically cost? Would it all be booked out already?

I've done about 750 dives, have a drysuit, good on air, hate being rushed, love long dives of an hour or more, and lots of critters to photograph.

I finish with the conference on the evening of July 29, and have a flight to Boston around midday on August 1. I'm staying near the LA convention centre.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers, and thanks!
R

Anacapa & Santa Cruz Island on the Explorer or Spectre out of Ventura.

FULL DAY Anacapa/ Santa Cruz Spectre Dive Boat
Time: 7:00am

With food & air $120
4 Dives Boards at 6 am Departs at 7 am

Call 805-486-1166

Spectre is a great boat. Ventura is a moderate drive from where you'd be staying...if you wanted something closer to LA. There are boats that leave from San Pedro (20 min drive vs 1 hour to ventura). The Magician goes to Catalina Island Magician Dive Boat San Pedro CA. I would personally rather dive Anacapa/Sant Cruz- but only by a small margin. Catalina is great.

I'd agree with doing a boat dive out to one of the channel islands. Usually about $120 for a 3 dive daytrip or $400 for a two day live abord. Also it is assumed you will bring all your own gear including tanks and weights. So do call ahead and arrange for anything you may be
missing.

Definitely a dive boat - if you've only got two days, you just can't trust that the beach conditions will be good that weekend. And while I'm personally partial to our Ventura County boats, given where you'll be and your short time frame, you should probably go on a boat out of San Pedro or Long Beach, which is significantly closer to you.

Here's a link to a site that gives you info and links to all the SoCal dive boats: California Dive Boats : The Official Page Scroll about down a bit and you'll see the boats out of San Pedro and Long Beach. I'm sure you'll be able to find a boat on which you can at least do two day trips, if not an overnighter. Some of the boats even have bunks that you can sleep in Saturday night, if you're doing two day trips.

Important differences between CA dive boats and those in many other locations around the world: these are NOT resort dive boats! You are not coddled or babied - you are expected to bring your own gear (unless you make pre-arrangements to rent from them), take care of your own gear, make your own dive plan, and dive on your own. These are not DM-led dives - the DMs on the boat usually don't even get in the water. You are treated like a certified diver, not like a vacationer. Which I much prefer, as I dislike being babied! :wink: But some travelers to SoCal are surprised to find that nobody is "doing it all for them."

Most people come with their own buddy, but if you go alone the DM will surely help you find an insta-buddy. I've gone on SoCal dive boats alone before, and the DMs always hooked me up with someone. I've also been on boats with my husband, and had the DM ask us to take a lone diver with us, which we were happy to do. As soon as you get a chance, let the DM know you're solo and need a buddy.

Remember, it's cold water diving - which I guess is fine for you if you're bringing your dry suit. You'll definitely find lots of critters to photograph - and just being in the kelp, especially if it's a sunny day, will give you lots of chances for beautiful photographs that are completely different from what you usually see in Australia, I'm sure! :)

Reefseekers dive charter had scheduled for a run to Catalina Island on the Great Escape dive boat (big, slow but comfortable and excellent food). Looks like the destination would be Ship Rock, which is an awesome pinnacle that would be challenging but rewarding. Perfect for somebody with 750-dives experience. $130 US for the trip which includes air refill (no Nitrox on this boat), food & water.

http://reefseekers.com/FLYERS/2010 RSD Boat & beach sked (final).pdf

I'd recommend to go on the Spectre to Anacapa Island (Northern Channel Islands) on Friday 30 JUL 10. Then go to Catalina on Saturday with Reefseekers and the Great Escape boat.

http://www.calboatdiving.com/calendar/calendar.htm

Reefseekers dive charter had scheduled for a run to Catalina Island on the Great Escape dive boat (big, slow but comfortable and excellent food). Looks like the destination would be Ship Rock, which is an awesome pinnacle that would be challenging but rewarding. Perfect for somebody with 750-dives experience. $130 US for the trip which includes air refill (no Nitrox on this boat), food & water

I like Ship Rock. I have video you can check out on youtube.com/leabre

Catalina has many good destinations.

Thanks for all these suggestions! Looking at the dive boat websites right now. It's 6:50am here... yawn!

I can't bring a full set of gear with me -- probably dry suit, mask, computer & camera. So need to hire BC, reg, fins, tank, weights. Something that's not on the californiadiveboats site is whether operators hire gear, or preferably have it waiting for me at the boat -- user iggy23 PM'd me that they usually DO NOT hire gear. That could be a challenge if the boat leaves early.

Thanks for the background info Leejnd! -- yes it's a bit different not having a guide, it sure helps on an unfamiliar site. But really comes down to whether the guy giving the briefing can draw a map properly :) Likely they can match me up with a local as you say.

I'd definitely do an overnight liveaboard if there was one going just for the 30th/31st. I could probably hire a car to get somewhere for the day, but the idea of driving on the RHS freaks me out a bit since I've never done it. But if it's drive or no dive, then it's drive :)

Back to looking up dive boats... then I have to do a full days work :-(

Cheers, thanks again
R

Well if it makes you feel any better, I managed to spend an entire week in New Zealand driving on the WRONG side of the road -- and I lived to tell! :D It got a bit hairy a few times, especially with left-hand turns and traffic circles...

Anyway, re rental gear, some boats are affiliated with dive shops and do offer rentals, but not all - and I don't know which ones down in LA area do (I usually go on the Ventura boats). I guess you'll have to check with whichever boat you pick. But if they don't do rentals, you can always rent from a local dive up, or Sport Chalet - which, yeah, I guess means renting a car so you can go over there to pick up your gear after your conference is over on Friday. I'm sure the dive boat you choose can give you a recommendation - or, once you pick a boat that has the trip you want, just post back here and we'll see if we can help you find a place to rent gear.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Well if it makes you feel any better, I managed to spend an entire week in New Zealand driving on the WRONG side of the road -- and I lived to tell! :D It got a bit hairy a few times, especially with left-hand turns and traffic circles...

Do you mean the wrong side for New Zealand, or the wrong side for you! :-o

If youd managed to drive on the RHS for a week in NZ and lived I'd be WAY impressed!
Just would go to show there's nothing on the roads over there!

Cheers
R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom