Looking to get into DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, in the future I've thought of taking a Fundies class but do you need a traditional bp/w or could you use a minimalist back inflate bc like the zeagle tech express? Reason I'm curious is because I have an HP100 and that would provide the same weighting as the steel bp anyways and wouldn't want to buy a whole new bp/w for that sole purpose if the tech express with a steel tank performs the same.

Fundies requires a BP/W, for all the reasons covered in Fundies. :)

If you're interested in the class, you can almost surely borrow/rent the needed gear. If you then decide you would rather use a BP/W, you could easily get one for the price your Zeagle would bring on the used market.

Why not ring up one of the three local (SoCal) GUE instructors and have a chat? They're all extremely friendly.

Just curious, in the future I've thought of taking a Fundies class but do you need a traditional bp/w or could you use a minimalist back inflate bc like the zeagle tech express? Reason I'm curious is because I have an HP100 and that would provide the same weighting as the steel bp anyways and wouldn't want to buy a whole new bp/w for that sole purpose if the tech express with a steel tank performs the same.

Down the line I'll think about it, too much money spent lately on tanks, kayak, etc. If I didn't have those pesky student loan payments every month it'd be a lot easier :)

FYI, the Zeagle Tech Express is only $250 new and judging by the reviews on here, it provides the same level of performance as a bp/w.

We'll see later this summer, I do like my gadgets so eventually I'll break down and buy one most likely.

I will third (fourth? fifth?) a nomination for Don's Essentials class as a great intro to the DIR path, he's great above and below the waterline. Also, if Kathydee's contact can't arrange some face/water time with you, I am a recent Fundies grad and I will be in Austin the 5th-17th of July to visit my family. We can definitely meet up and talk diving while I'm there.

Also, my teammate for Essentials did half the class in a BC and split fins, Don was completely cool with it so no gear worries as opposed to Fundies, but the skills are just as useful towards enjoying the rest of your diving career. You do need either a 5' or 7' hose for your primary regulator, that's the only gotcha, but hoses are cheap.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely can't wait to get started. Just going to take some time to get finances in order first. With two kids and my wife getting ready to go back to school, things are a bit tight. Kanonfodr, that sounds great, I'd love to pick your brain on the fundies class.

Hi there! I am the "contact" that Kathydee has mentioned. My husband (reticentdiver) and I are living in Austin since about a year and we are always looking for people to dive with ... and if they are interested in dir even more :D We both did fundies about a year ago and are trying to get in as much diving as we can in preparation for a tech class in the near future. We also have some spare equipment (mostly halcyon/apeks combinations) that you could give a try if you want to get a feeling for some of the gear before you buy stuff.

As kanonfdr has mentioned he is coming over to Austin in early July and we are already planing to get some water time in Lake Travis, it would be fun if you guys join us.

I will third (fourth? fifth?) a nomination for Don's Essentials class as a great intro to the DIR path, he's great above and below the waterline. Also, if Kathydee's contact can't arrange some face/water time with you, I am a recent Fundies grad and I will be in Austin the 5th-17th of July to visit my family. We can definitely meet up and talk diving while I'm there.

Also, my teammate for Essentials did half the class in a BC and split fins, Don was completely cool with it so no gear worries as opposed to Fundies, but the skills are just as useful towards enjoying the rest of your diving career. You do need either a 5' or 7' hose for your primary regulator, that's the only gotcha, but hoses are cheap.

Peace,
Greg

Hi zamburinha, good to meet you. We just moved to the Austin area (Leander actually) about two months ago. Still trying to get settled in. My wife should be starting her OW later this month, or early next month. Probably won't be able to make a dive while kanonfodr is visiting, but late next month or August would most certainly be a great time for us to go. I've got a full set of gear for myself plus an extra set of regs, both of which I'll be dropping off at the dive shop soon. They haven't been serviced in several years unfortunately.

It's fun to watch this . . . one of the things that has struck me about the DIR community is how incredibly generous and helpful people are (although divers are pretty much that way, anyway). We're generally extremely willing to step forward and help anybody who's interested in the system!

Down the line I'll think about it, too much money spent lately on tanks, kayak, etc. If I didn't have those pesky student loan payments every month it'd be a lot easier :)

FYI, the Zeagle Tech Express is only $250 new and judging by the reviews on here, it provides the same level of performance as a bp/w.

We'll see later this summer, I do like my gadgets so eventually I'll break down and buy one most likely.

Idk if its really the same. It looks like its missing the crotch strap, d rings, short inflator, and modularity that a real bp has. Plus, it has clips and elastic on it (however minor), which aren't really needed.

As far as non-backplates go, its not shabbhy, ill give you that. But it certainly doesn't match up with the real deal :wink:

It's fun to watch this . . . one of the things that has struck me about the DIR community is how incredibly generous and helpful people are (although divers are pretty much that way, anyway). We're generally extremely willing to step forward and help anybody who's interested in the system!
100% agree here. When I first started cave diving, the GUE/DIR divers as a whole were by far the most helpful group I met.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom